114. Me Under You Pt. 14

By: @vera_ba

Déjà vu.

The stolen glances.

The quiet murmuring behind his back.

The tight knot in his stomach as he hurries into the safety of his office.

Is déjà vu even the right expression for it? Maybe it's just a horrible memory –– yeah, that sounds more fitting.

Of course, Jae wouldn't skip this opportunity to mess with him.

Of fucking course, he would tell every soul in this damn company about him and Jimin first thing in the morning.

And Jimin isn't even here yet ––– oh, this is going to be a disaster.

"This is a fucking disaster."

Jungkook sighs tiredly, glancing up to see his best friend closing the door shut behind himself, evidently furious.

"Do they seriously have nothing else to do but gossip?" Tae huffs, plopping down on the couch unceremoniously, "I'm telling you, Kook, you're too kind to them," he continues grumbling, pulling his phone out of his pocket violently, "I'd make sure they don't even have time to think about talking shit behind their co-worker's back, never mind yours, under the workload I had given them."

"I'm their boss, Tae, not a tyrant," the younger replies quietly, "I can't control what they're talking about."

"It's not about control," the dark-haired says firmly, "it's about the utter disrespect–––" he sighs, pushing a few unruly curls out of his forehead frustratedly. Tae doesn't finish the sentence, the silence settling heavily between them, something that's been happening too often lately for Jungkook's liking.

Things have been ––– strange between them. It's not their first fight or heated conversation, however you call it, but ––– it's different this time and it scares Jungkook.

It terrifies him because he can't even put a finger on it. He knows it's about Jimin, of course, he does, but he has an inkling feeling it's deeper than a friend's frustration with his shitty life choices. It eerily feels like disappointment. Jungkook doesn't do well with disappointing people, and ––– his best friend knows that quite well. Maybe that's why Tae used to keep his thoughts about the topic to himself, and even when he shared some, he sugarcoated it.

"Did you hear what they're saying about Jimin?" the dark-haired speaks again.

Jungkook swallows thickly, shaking his head.

"It's ––– pretty ugly," Tae replies quietly, "and I'm sure I didn't even hear the worst of it," he murmurs, "considering I'm his friend."

The younger doesn't know what to say.

It feels like it's his fault.