77. Butterflies Like Flowers pt. 11

By: @serendipityswan

"You have to talk to him."

"I have already tried a dozen times," Jungkook argues.

"Not about you returning to Seoul," Taehyung clarifies, sounding exasperated on the phone.

"I can't be selfish."

"It's not being selfish!"

"It feels like it," Jungkook mutters.

"This isn't how a healthy relationship works Kook-ah," Taehyung sighs. "You need to communicate. You need to explain how you feel and what you think because you're just hurting yourself and likely hurting Jimin too."

Jungkook's chest tightens in reaction, squeezing his eyes shut as well while his heart aches over the thought of hurting Jimin. He is startled when he hears the apartment door open suddenly, snapping his eyes open to find Jimin walking in with a smile.

"Tae I gotta go."

"Talk to him," Taehyung finalizes before they hang up. Jimin plops down beside him, curling up to his side in a way that used to comfort Jungkook but now, just saddens him.

"Good workshop?" Jungkook asks tentatively.

"Very. Their lead choreographer gave me a lot of praise. Even said I'd be perfect in one of their pieces," Jimin explains, clearly tired but also quite content.

"That's great hyung," Jungkook forces, giving him a smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"That must mean I have a good shot to get into the company right?" Jimin asks, sounding hopeful. And when he sounds like that and smiles as happily as he currently is, Jungkook can't bear to ruin it. So he lets Jimin continue his hopeful rambling and tries to ignore the heaviness in his own heart.

--

It's almost like when they first met again.

Jungkook is nothing but nervous, awkward energy and doesn't know how to interact with Jimin. So his solution is to not, which he knows is ridiculous but he doesn't know what else to do.

The one place Jungkook has found at least an inkling of peace is in the studio. His nights become late as he works there, returning home late and long after Jimin has fallen asleep. Then the nights become days too and he spends a few weeks like this, letting his worried mind empty as he makes art.

But he should have known this safe space wouldn't stay that way forever.

"What's up with you?"

Jungkook turns to find Yoongi standing in the doorway, arms crossed over his chest as he stares intensely at the younger.

"Nothing," Jungkook dismisses weakly, turning back around in a poor attempt to ignore the elder.

"Bullshit," Yoongi replies. "You're ignoring and avoiding your boyfriend. That isn't a normal thing to do."

"Not even sure I have a boyfriend anymore," Jungkook mumbles honestly, not even questioning how Yoongi knows. He is the perceptive hyung after all.

"What is that supposed to mean? What happened?"

"You know how you said butterflies like flowers? You forgot to mention they never stay at the same flower for long."

"Same question."

"Jimin dreams of being a professional dancer at the best company. And he-" Jungkook starts, feeling himself get choked up. "It doesn't matter. He has a plan that doesn't involve me."