86. Go Big or Go Home pt. 5

By: @serendipityswan

"You're not a morning person, are you?"

Jungkook grumbles incoherently as he approaches Jimin. It is five in the morning and like Jimin told him, he is at the practice rink. His eyes are puffy from sleep and he isn't certain that he isn't just sleep walking around at this point. He plops down on the bench next to the skater who stretching on the floor.

"How are you so awake?" Jungkook slurs.

"I'm always up this early during the competitive season," Jimin explains, a smirk pulling his lips because he is amused by the younger's sleepy behavior and disheveled appearance of oversized sweatpants and hoodie.

"So why exactly am I here?" Jungkook questions, sleep still weighing his eyes down as he looks at the skater.

"If you are going to cheer me on, I need to be used to it. Otherwise I might screw up my program and you'd be to blame."

Jungkook feels a large lump in his throat at that and he is suddenly more alert. Jimin eyes him briefly before continuing.

"Don't freak out. I'm used to having to tune everything out. You're just a semi-special case."

"Aw you think I'm special," Jungkook giggles.

"Don't let it go to your head bunny boy. Special in the sense that I will know you are there for me. Usually Tae is the only one for me specifically, and he doesn't cheer."

"Why not?"

"I like to ask for feedback, so he tends to watch very intently and not for enjoyment."

"Don't you have a coach for that?" Jungkook asks innocently.

Jimin bites his bottom lip as he thinks of how to respond. This topic has been a heated, and often unkind, one for him. But this is Jungkook whose doe-eyes show everything he is thinking and feeling.

"I don't have one," Jimin answers curtly, standing from the floor to take a seat on the bench and lace on his skates, keeping eyes on his task and not the younger.

"What do you mean? Jungkook asks, confusion painting his face.

"I mean what I said. I don't have a coach. It's just me and Tae," Jimin deadpans.

Jungkook has more questions pop into his brain, but he sees the smallest shift in the demeanor of the skater that he decides to drop it.

"So how does figure skating work?" Jungkook asks a little awkwardly in his attempt to shift the topic. Jimin looks at him then and when their eyes meet, Jungkook swears he sees a flicker of appreciation for it.

"So we have two programs. The short program must be shorter than two minutes fifty seconds. And then the free skate, or long program, is closer to five minutes for men. Each program is scored in two ways. The first is the technical score which is based on the difficulty and execution of the technical elements, like the jumps and spins. The second is the program component which is the artistry and performance aspects. Combine the scores and that's how things are determined."

"So everyone gets to do both programs? No qualifier?"

"Correct."

"That must be nice, not having to qualify."

"It is what it is. Just the norm to me," Jimin replies with a shrug.

"I can't help but feel bad for the other boarders that didn't make it," Jungkook bites on his lip.

"Why? It's just how it is right?"

"Yeah but knowing how much work we all put into it makes it bittersweet to see someone who has worked equally hard as me have their time cut short."