116. Me Under You Pt. 16

By: @vera_ba

"You're quiet."

Jimin hums absent-mindedly, gaze still focused on the road.

"Stop it," Yoongi adds, "it's weird."

The younger snorts, lolling his head to the side to see his companion. "You always complain that I never shut up," he bites back playfully.

"I complain lovingly," Yoongi corrects, index finger pointed as he switches lanes, turning his blinker before perfectly executing the turn, the blue-haired smiling to himself at his friend's antics. "Seriously, though," he continues, "quit overthinking and talk to me instead."

Oh, so this is what it's about. Jimin smiles softly, observing his friend with his nape against the headrest of the car seat.

"I'm not overthinking," he says, earnest. His head is blissfully empty. Maybe the reality of the situation, the destination of their little car ride, simply didn't catch up to him just yet, but ––– this short break is very much welcomed. "But fine," he shrugs, "what do you want to talk about?"

Yoongi steals a glance at him, then purses his lips, fingers drumming on the wheel. "Hmm, let me think," he feigns thinking about it, "maybe what Bambi said that was so ––– enlightening you're about to do something you've been avoiding doing for eight years," he suggests with a quick, pointed look.

"Seriously?" Jimin groans, slipping lower on his seat. "You want to talk about him right now?" he points at a sign signaling just how close they are to the younger's hometown.

Yoongi shrugs, nonchalant. "Want to listen to a podcast instead or somethin'?" he asks dryly, eliciting a soft huff, definitely not amused.

"It was, you know," Jimin says after a few quiet moments, the older answering with a hum. "Enlightening," the blue-haired explains quietly, "kind of."

"Yeah?" Yoongi asks, "how so?"

"I realized how –––" Jimin sighs, "how not over him I am."

"Really?" the older replies, pretending to be surprised, "you think so?" he adds sarcastically, glancing at the younger just in time to catch a dramatic eye-roll.

"I know what you're thinking," Jimin murmurs, playing with his seatbelt, distracted, "but I genuinely thought I was doing better ––– a little bit at least," he explains, followed by a soft exhale. "But that's my thing, I guess," he adds, "making sure I'm so busy I slowly but surely believe being distracted equals healing."

"Well," the older replies as he leisurely turns the wheel, "sometimes it is," he says, "but you have to get to that stage first."

"Huh?" Jimin turns to him with a confused frown.

"You know, when you go through all the crying and talking, and reflecting," Yoongi explains with a wave of his hand, "but the pain is still there because it just ––– didn't run its course yet," he says.