Forty-nine

It was late at night as I sat in bed with a book.

It was my second night at Kwan's flat and I could hear him in his living room where some faint music was playing while he sang along.

My brother could sing. That was something I remembered about him. He had a passion about it and that is a hobby that Carter took up at one point as well.

Something I had learned about Kwan while living with him these past days, was that he was a smoker.

He didn't smoke inside but he went out onto his balcony if he needed a cigarette.

My birthday was tomorrow and I was bummed that I wasn't at home with my parents and Carter to celebrate it.

When I decided to put my book away, there was a knock on the door before it opened.

Kwan leaned against the doorframe, an arm resting above his head, a hand on his waist and his ankles crossed.

"I've wondered something since you showed up at my door." He said and I looked at him as I put my book down, then got back into bed. "Carter, Maya and... and you. I-I wrote you every week for the first six months and I never got an answer back. I'm guessing mum never gave you the letters."

I looked at Kwan as I realised that that was exactly what had happened.

I had never received a letter from him.

"She didn't, no." I shook my head and he nodded, letting out a breath.

"Did you ever try to get in touch?" He asked.

I sighed.

"I mean... I found you a few years back and I wanted to reach out. I've missed you terribly all these years, but I was scared that you had forgotten all about us and wouldn't remember me."

Kwan rubbed his hands together before he walked into the room and took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm sorry that I left." He said.

"What do you mean?" I chuckled. "Mum kicked you out."

He sighed as he shook his head.

"No... she didn't. I left. It became too much. We were constantly fighting and she was the reason for my low self-esteem. I hated being in that house. I felt... stuck."

"Mum said she kicked you out."

He chuckled.

"Well, she would never admit to being the one who's abandoned." He said. "Obviously she told everyone it was her decision."

I leaned back against the headboard as I folded my arms over my chest.

"How are they?" He asked. "Carter and Maya?"

I shrugged.

"Carter is working at the ministry. He still lives at home and he's an idiot." I said. "And Maya is kind of quiet, also an idiot. She's always telling mum my business which is annoying."

Kwan smiled.

"So the usual siblings rivalry?"

"Yeah." I scoffed and at the same time, the doorbell rang, causing us both to look in the direction of the hallway.

With a sigh, Kwan stood up and walked out of the room, leaving the door open as he walked down to the front door.

I heard another voice that I recognised and I got off the bed before showing up in the doorway to the room.

At the end of the hallway, Kwan was inviting my dad inside.

My dad's eyes landed on me and he let out a breath of relief.

"Kai, thank god." He breathed, walking down the hallway to pull me in for a hug. "I went to the Weasleys earlier today. Turned out Fred wasn't home and his parents had never met you."

Dad pulled back to look at me.

"I'm glad I found you though." He said. "I am so sorry. Your mother told me what happened."

I wrapped my arms around myself as I looked away. I was scared that my dad was going to take her side, though somewhere inside of me, I knew that he wouldn't.

"She's very upset about what happened." He said. "She's sorry that she took it so far."

"Then why are you here and not her?" I asked and looked up at him. "Mum kicked me out, dad. She called me a whore and then told me to find somewhere else to stay."

"And she should not have done that." He said. "If I had been home, you would not have been forced to leave. That is your home until you are ready to move out."

I took a step back.

"I can't go back to that house." I said. "She called me a whore."

"Which is unacceptable as I've told her." He said. "But you are our daughter and you are still seventeen until tomorrow. You're coming back home."

I looked at him for a moment before I looked past him to where Kwan leaned against the wall, watching us interact.

"I think you should." He nodded. "You don't want to end up like me with no family."

I sighed.

"Okay." I shrugged. "I'll uh... I'll pack my things."

I scratched my arm a little before I turned around and walked back into the room.

A constant frown was on my face as I packed my stuff while wondering if dad was right.

Was mum feeling bad about what happened?

Did she want me to come home or was that just my dad talking?

Once I finished backing, I threw the bag over my shoulder and walked back out into the hallway where dad and Kwan were talking.

"Are you ready to go?" Dad asked and I nodded. "Alright. I'll wait outside."

He walked out of the flat and I looked up at Kwan.

"You'll be okay." He told me softly. "Write me about how it goes, yeah?"

I nodded.

"And let's not lose touch again, okay?" He asked. "When Maya gets home from school for Easter, I'd like to take all three of you out for lunch."

I nodded again and Kwan pulled me in for a hug.

"Thank you for letting me stay." I whispered.

"Of course." He chuckled, pulling back to look down at me. "I'm always here if you need anything."

"Thank you." I breathed, rubbing a hand over my cheek. "I'll see you soon, and I'll remember to write you... possibly tomorrow."

Kwan nodded.

"Happy early birthday." He smiled while I walked out of the door.

I forced a small smile before making my way down the stairs and as I did, I heard his front door close, then lock.

Sighing, I walked out onto the street where my dad was waiting.

When he saw me, he offered me a soft smile and grabbed my bag to carry it for me.

"Let's go home." He said. "And then we'll have a chat with mum."