Distance Learning

Three days later

My condition had not changed much, but I felt a little better. For the students of 5CK I had already sent out an email last night, saying that we should all meet today at 11 am for an online meeting to explain the website and everything else. Now it was shortly before 11 o'clock and I had familiarized myself with the new systems in the last two days in order to be able to explain everything to the students. I opened the meeting room already at 10:59 a.m., so that I could invite students who had already arrived earlier. The first students of 5CK came to the meeting room on time at 11 am and the rest came a few minutes after. "Is the audio working for everyone or is that a problem?", I asked first and heard that some came forward. The others wrote in the existing chat that they couldn't hear me and also didn't know what was being asked. Since I could see the entire chat history, as could the other students, I was able to write to the students asking if they had the computer audio on or if it was due to some other problem. Shortly after, they all heard me, but had a problem with their audio to be able to talk to me, which didn't matter. "If any of them had a question where the audio wasn't working, just post in the chat and I'll answer it for you," I explained briefly at the beginning before starting on the other topics.

"Did everything work with the system for the others or are there still problems?", I asked again looking at my computer screen. "Can you see me or is my camera turned off?" asked Alex. "I see a black box with your name in it. You can decide if you want to be there with video or if you'd rather have the camera turned off. I don't care relatively as long as everyone is there and listening," I mentioned briefly and saw that some did have the camera on. "Nice to see some of you and now I will start by explaining the website you will be working on in the future." While I was saying that, I was already looking for the website in the meantime to be able to explain everything to the guys and Maya. "Don't be surprised, you are about to see my screen and a website". Shortly after, I split my screen so that the students could now see the website wherein only I could interact. "This is the website you will be working on for the next few weeks. However, before you can access your assignments, you will need to create an account here. To do that, go to this sign and then enter your data," I explained. "Should we do that now?" asked Sam, confused. "I'm asking you to do it. I as well as the other teachers were given the task to explain the website to you and that you should create an account with our help, because then you will also get a code from me so that you can access to my math course", I explained briefly.

"Do we even want access to this math course?" asked Dylan and I heard a few guys laugh. "Yes you do," I replied and a short time later I got confirmation that everyone had created an account. "Alright, once you've done that, please click on your account and then select the "Access Code" function. I will now announce a letter-number code for you to enter in this box so that you can access the course," I explained briefly and then told them the code. "Did you all get that done?", I asked in between when I couldn't hear anything from the boys for some time. "All done Mr. Mitchell," Alvin replied, as did the rest of my students. "Good, if you have done that, you are now in my class. I've also already uploaded an assignment for you guys to please complete by Thursday," I mentioned. "What if we have questions but then we are no longer in this online meeting with you?" asked Drake. "You can always email me or I'll join the WhatsApp group again," I explained and almost everyone agreed with me about the group. "Alright, then I will rejoin the group and, if you have any questions, you can always write," I offered to my students, with everyone agreeing.

"Do you know how long this will continue with Distance Learning?" now asked Maya. "I'm afraid I can't tell you, because I have no idea how long this will last with the virus, nor does the management. Of course, I wish that we will see each other in class again soon but I'm sure that won't happen so soon," I mentioned. "So I don't really think Distance Learning is bad so far. We have the whole day to do our assignments and meanwhile we can do other things at home", I heard Toby. "That's true of course but first and foremost you should focus on school," I mentioned. "Well, I think this system is pretty stupid. I don't want to do my assignments through the computer programs," Alex got upset. "You don't necessarily have to use the computer programs. You can also print out the worksheets and then email them to me by scanning them at home or sending them to me with a photo from your phone," I explained. "That would work too?" asked Luke in surprise. "Of course. If you'd rather do the assignments on paper instead of Word, it's absolutely no problem for me," I said.

"What about my exam now Mr. Mitchell, by the way?", I heard Luka. "I don't know yet Luka. We have to wait and see how the current situation develops and, if it is not possible by November, we will have to think of something else," I answered. After saying that, I saw that my cell phone was vibrating on the table next to my laptop and I could read Kendall's name on the display. I decided to pay no attention to my phone and continue to focus on my class 5CK. "Is there anything else important to discuss or can we try our hand at their assignment?" asked Jay. "You guys are welcome to start on the assignment since I've already cleared everything from my end. Then I hope you do well with the program and if there are any problems, just write to me. As I said, I will sign up again in the WhatsApp group and we will see each other again on Thursday in an online meeting," I said before I said goodbye to the boys and thus ended the meeting.

Shortly after, I looked at my phone and saw that Kendall had texted me a message that read, "Please pick up. I want to apologize to you Logan". When I read that, I decided to call him back and waited until I could no longer hear the beeping. "Hey Logan," Kendall greeted me with relief in his voice. "Hey Kendall. What's up?", I asked, leaning back in my chair. "Logan. I wanted to apologize to you for getting so upset with you, for calling you stupid, and for unintentionally wishing you dead when I definitely didn't mean it," he apologized to me. "I'm really sorry Logan and I should have backed off," he explained. "Apology accepted Kendall. We are all very annoyed by this virus and can also understand your reaction but to say that this virus doesn't even exist and to portray our symptoms as a simulation, I still don't think it's okay," I replied. "I know Logan. That was really stupid of me," he mentioned. "Good, maybe we'll talk on the phone again in the evening? I think you have some chores to do," I mentioned. "You're right about that Logan, and I hope I can handle this website," he hoped. "And if not, you can just call me and I'll help you," I offered. "That's really great Logan. I'll see you tonight," he said goodbye to me and hung up.