Mr. Stark's stubborn head

Review two weeks

Alvin's POV:

Mr. Mitchell had been gone from our school for almost two weeks and this was a matter of great concern to me. We just had math class with Mr. Hall, who was anything but enthusiastic about teaching us. His mood was in the basement and his spirits were sinking by the minute. "Mr. Hall! How would you feel about a joke to cheer you up?" asked Jason, and our teacher turned in his direction. "Your homework submissions are joke enough. Mr. Mitchell was apparently unable to explain these examples to you," Mr. Hall replied, writing another assignment on the board. "He was definitely more competent than you are," Dylan countered. "What did you just say?" our teacher asked as he turned to us. "That Mr. Mitchell enjoyed his job. Very different from you," Tony explained boredly, looking to him. "Do you think you'll always have people around you in your later working life who enjoy their job? That's not the case 95% of the time. Many are happy when they finally have peace from their work and finally find peace at home," Mr. Hall replied and we looked at him confused. "How about leaving school today and spending the rest of your life at home as well?", Cole asked him provocatively. Mr. Hall then came closer to Cole's desk and braced his hands against it. "You should watch your choice of words and your tone. You treat a teacher with respect. If it weren't for us teachers, you'd be walking around in life with a brain the size of a pea," Mr. Hall countered, looking at Cole emotionlessly. "Basically, we'd all be like you. You embody that pea brain perfectly," Cole replied, grinning at him. The bell then rang for recess and we would finally have some peace from Mr. Hall. "Watch out I don't send you to the principal Chapman," Mr. Hall warned him before leaving the classroom with his books and brown briefcase.

Afterwards, we had PE with our new teacher. Mr. Thompson. Without much expectation, we changed in our locker room and were glad when this day was finally over. "How long do you think it will be before anything happens again today?" asked Alex as he put on his shirt. "I guess ten minutes," Max answered. "I guess two minutes," Jeremy mentioned and put on his shoes. "Want to bet guys? Who all agrees with Max?" asked Dylan tensely as three boys raised their hands. "Well the majority are for him to last two minutes," Taylor stated and we all announced our bets before entering the gym. We didn't have to wait long before our teacher entered the gym. "Greetings boys," said Mr. Thompson walking towards us with slow steps. To explain. Mr. Thompson was a 65-year-old old man who had had several surgeries and was not as fit as he should be. In that short time, Mr. Stark had found no one better than a teacher who had been retired for five years and could no longer walk without problems. "You guys tell me which one of you is missing?" he asked, sliding down the wooden wall to the floor so he could sit. "Sure. Sam and Maya," Drake replied, and when Mr. Thompson had filled in those missing, he put his class list aside and stood up. As he did so, we heard a noise that, to some extent, relieved us of this torment. "Boys! I think I need your help again," Mr. Thompson mentioned as he slid back down the wall, unable to get up on his own. "How many minutes was that?", Alex asked me impatiently. "Exactly two minutes thirty," I answered him as I glanced at my watch.

Some boys helped Mr. Thompson leave the gym and thereupon he was picked up by a car by a good friend of his. "I'd like your bets guys," Jeremy mentioned with a grin on his face. "Aw man. I'll win again next time," Toby complained as he put a dollar in Jeremy's hand. "What are we going to do Alvin?", Max asked me as the other boys were already shooting each other a ball. "I'm going to go see Mr. Stark. We need Mr. Mitchell back," I explained and walked back into the locker room with him. "And what are you going to tell him?" he asked, looking at me intently. "That he should hire Mr. Mitchell back right away no matter what happened. Can you just do me a favor? Please collect the other boys and bring them back to our class," I asked Max who nodded and I changed and left the gym again. I stowed my gym bag in my locker and then went up the stairs and entered a more secluded area where the teachers' lounge and the principal's office were located. I took a deep breath and knocked on the principal's office. Afterwards, the door opened and Mr. Stark stood in front of me wearing a suit. "Alvin. What can I do for you?" he asked, looking at me tensely. "I really need to talk to you. It's important," I explained and he let me in shortly after. "I'll make this brief. We desperately need Mr. Mitchell back," I spoke as I took a seat in the chair across from him.