"I hope this is a joke"

Kendall's POV:

"What do you think Mr. Hobbs is going to be upset about again today?" asked Camille as I stared thoughtfully at the pad on the table in front of me. "I don't know. The weather, the coffee, or his fellow teachers," I enumerated, hoping the hour would pass quickly. Mr. Hobbs always came to class on time, but today was different. After five minutes we could hear footsteps along the hallway, but instead of Mr. Hobbs, Miss Cooper came into the class. "Good afternoon dear 4KD. You are going to have PE with me now because something important has come up with your teacher. So grab your stuff and come with me to the gym," Miss Cooper enlightened us and all the students took their backpacks and then left the class. "Cool idea to just do sports now instead of German, right?", Camille asked me as we got our sports stuff from our locker. "Instead of German now having sports with Miss Cooper doesn't sound bad. Miss Cooper is always in a good mood but sports continue to not be my thing," I replied and walked outside to the gym with Camille. "You're such a sourpuss," she said, giving me a quick tousle through my hair. Once we arrived at the gym, we parted ways, having long since changed separately at this age. As every time, I was allowed to listen to annoying comments from Derek and his clique and hoped, for two years, that they would annoy someone else. But to date, I have not had any success. After we had changed our clothes, we entered the gym and discovered the boys of the 5CK. Then Logan should be around, too? I thought and when I heard his voice, my assumption was confirmed.

"Hey Logan," Miss Cooper greeted him as he was instructing his boys to run some laps around the gym. "Hey, you with the 4KD?" he asked excitedly, looking to us. "Franklin had something come up and Mr. Stark asked me to take over the lesson," she explained briefly. "All right. Do you have any idea why we're looking for a gym teacher again?" he asked her, confused. "Yes. Ashley is pregnant and will be going on maternity leave soon. Don't you know?" she asked him tensely. "No. Women don't talk to me. Especially not when they're in another spate of the school," he replied and we had to grin. "You poor young man. None of the women talk to you anymore," Miss Cooper commiserated with him and I tried not to laugh conspicuously. "Hey, just because I'm gay doesn't mean no other women get to talk to me," he explained and Miss Cooper just looked at him. "My class is going to run three laps to warm up and then we're going to play some games," she suggested and my class set to work on the three laps. After this was accomplished after a short time, we wondered what the game would be now. "We came up with a good idea that I think you'll like," Miss Cooper began. "The game is dodgeball. But we're changing the rules a little," Logan continued to explain. "Logan and I will pick the teams, but we won't pick the best of you first. We will cross select to keep it fair." "Even if there are a lot of weak ones on a team, it doesn't mean you will lose. You have Abby and me with you to help. As soon as only one of your team is left alone in the field, we will join you as so-called "free spirits" and help you. We have three lives each. Once the first of us has lost all of them, the opposing team has won," Logan finished explaining and we looked at each other with wide eyes. "You, as eliminated team members, can of course free yourself again by shooting down someone from your opposing team," Miss Cooper mentioned even before the two of them started to vote.

Miss Cooper: Zoey

Mr. Mitchell: Alvin

Miss Cooper: Drake

Mr. Mitchell: Kendall

I was picked second by Logan and was surprised that he would pick me even though he knew I totally suck at dodgeball. With a small smile, I went to his team which he was still putting up. Max, Taylor, Riley, and a few other students were chosen until no one was left. Miss Cooper laid out the field and handed out green ribbons on her team so we knew who would be on which team. Logan and Miss Cooper stood behind the court and then dodgeball was started. At first our team was pretty good and we had everything under control until we lost the ball to the other team. As a result, everything went pretty fast. Many team members were shot down in no time and when Taylor was shot down, I was all alone in our field. Now before the opposing team could shoot me down, the game was stopped by Miss Cooper. "Kendall is all alone in the field. You get your free spirit," she mentioned and Logan ran through the opposing team and joined me in the field. "The ball belongs to your teacher," she explained and the opposing team threw it to Logan. Then the game started again and we were careful not to get picked off. Logan kept catching the balls and shooting down other members of the other team until only Drake was left and our opposing team also got their free spirit. Now it was a two on two, Drake and Miss Cooper against Logan and me. I managed to hold on for barely two minutes until a second ball was integrated into the game. When I wasn't paying attention for a moment, I was shot down by Drake and had to leave the field and now Logan was on his own. He then shot Drake down and now only our two teachers were left. Both had a ball and were thinking about how to proceed. Miss Cooper shot the ball to her team and they tried to shoot Logan down. Again and again the ball was shot back and forth until Luke managed to hit Mr. Mitchell and was allowed to rejoin Miss Cooper in the field. Logan then threw the ball to us, but we did not manage to hit anyone. Shortly after, Logan was picked off again and now he had only one life left. Miss Cooper was not paying attention for a moment and exactly in this moment Logan caught her and now it was 2:1 for the opposing team.