~Chapter 5~

Over the months of break, they had been working on getting the vault revamped and converting the room to a theme of 863 project room for them to be able to go over the evidence and to talk about theories fans came up with. River had been sitting at her desk working on some work, she had been moved into an office for herself as she had it decorated a way she liked it. While working in her office, she heard a weird beeping noise as she got confused. 

When leaving her office, she noticed that Matthias, Sam, and Woods had all left their offices as well. "It's coming from the vault," Sam told everyone as they walked upstairs going to the vault as they got confused. "I don't know what is happening, but it has been making this beeping know and I don't know what it is," Sam said as Matthias got confused. "It started happening when I got in, I don't know what it is," Sam said due to her seeing Matthias being confused. When everyone got into the vault they all looked at the screen as they saw different things.

 "This is different, it's not the serum, Radioactive spike detected..." River said looking at the screen as she looked over at them. "Go get the camera, Sam, please." River told Sam as she nodded going to get the camera. River had moved out of the way so Matthias could look at the screen, "Radioactive spike detected, what on earth? How could it possibly be different from the serum? This is saying something radioactive is going off in that zone. In that sector." Matthias said looking at River and Woods as they nodded.

"How do we know it isn't the serum though?" Woods asked confused as Matthias responded. "It says radioactive spike detected, when it's a serum it would be different. It would say serum detected, not radioactive spike detected." Matthias explained as River looked at it. "If someone opened a vital, could it make radiation in the area spike? The machine can detect some radiation from the serum that emits from the vital. If someone were to open a bottle would it be possible to spike the radiation?" River asked confused as she looked at them.

Woods shrugged his shoulders as the three of them looked at the screen while waiting for Sam to come back. When Sam got back she went into the vault as she spoke, "That's not like anything we have seen before." Sam told them as River watched while leaning on the wall. "Sam, can you brief me on what happened?" Matthias asked confused as she nodded. "Yeah, so I came in this morning, was in my office, and heard a beeping noise that wasn't unusual. We have a lot of techs, but I heard it coming from the vault so I can in and it was flashing and beeping." Sam explained as Matthias nodded looking at her as he looked at the screen. 

"This is clearly not an alert, it seems like it is an urgent alert and my concern here is that it's not a pin right? It's an area.." Matthias said as River looked at it as she messed with the sleeves of her shirt. "It's not like a pin-like all serums are. Wait, there's something here." Sam said looking at the screen as Matthias looked at it. "Are we supposed to investigate this?" She asked confused as Sam shrugged her shoulders, "We were given the device to look for the serum but how are we supposed to know what it is." Sam responded as she pointed the camera at the screen.

"It's a huge area, it looks like it's 28 is the area. It's like the entire area is a radioactive zone, it's like three or four square blocks or 20 acres." Matthias explained as River looked at the screen, "I mean radiation does spread.. we just have to find the center point of the radiation so I might it wouldn't be hard to find the center point. Closer means getting higher radiation." River explained looking at the screen. "Are we supposed to go?" Sam asked confused as she looked at the screen. 

"Are we even prepared to go into the radioactive zone?" Matthias asked looking at her as River shrugged her shoulders. "We can just go and investigate alright? We don't have to get really close to it. We can stay a distance if needed and can talk about it on the way, we decide against it since it is far, like half an hour away from us. Whatever is happening is happening right now clearly." Matthias explained looking at the group as they nodded before leaving the vault and going to the car. 

"Is there any sort of protective gear we should have brought?" Sam asked as she looked at Matthias, holding the camera as he responded to her. "We don't have protective gear," Matthias explained keeping his eyes on the road as they drove to the location. "I brought a gas mask." Woods responded as River shook her head, "Having a gas mask won't do a whole lot against radiation." River explained looking at him as she sat in the backseat with Sam, who was still carrying the camera for them. 

"Did we look at the level of radiation?" River asked curiously as Matthias shook his head sighing. "How are we supposed to know, what is even at this place like... I'm really unsettled by is there no way for us to even prepare for what we are going to do." Sam said sighing as she looked at them as Matthias nodded driving, "Deb only gave us the computer.." Matthias responded as Woods looked at the two of them before he spoke. "I feel like she would have told us where some radioactive stuff is... I might be trusting her too much." Woods responded as River nodded agreeing with her as she sat there.

Sam had moved the camera so she would be able to get a shot outside as River sat there watching while River moved it so Sam wouldn't have to worry so much about carrying the weight of the camera. "I would be surprised and shocked if Deb wanted us to do this. For the next four years but she is also sending us into radioactive hot zones. Maybe she's like... you know they would die in four years and that's how long I need them they get to that spot." Matthias said as River chuckled slightly while she sat there. "That is a good point, I don't know why Deb would be sending us to a life-threatening location. If this is her sending, it's going off of the RSD which she had given us..." Sam spoke as Matthias cut her off, 

"I'm choosing faith right now because this feels completely different than the serum. It feels like there is a massive radioactive spike near the city where I live in. How do we know that the spikes aren't going to become more frequent if we don't go and investigate? How do we know the spikes aren't going to get closer to my home, my business, people I care about?" Matthias said driving as he sighed while sitting there. 

"You guys, we are getting close." Matthias said as he glanced back before continuing to drive to the location as Sam spoke up, "In the middle of nowhere.." Sam responded looking at him as she sat there while River nodded. "Yeah middle of nowhere, just nowhere." Matthias responded as River decided to speak up, "That could be good, if there is radiation then people are far enough to be safe from it." River responded as Matthias sighed. "We're getting to the edge of where it was covering. So this is the moment we have to decide..." Matthias said as he looked back at the group.