~Chapter 43~

Everyone was sitting in red base the next day sitting in the common area as Matthias paced the floor, bringing Subject 4 up to speed as River sat there on her phone, listening to them bring up everyone to speed as she heard him mention the only piece of evidence they found as she put her phone away when they opened the evidence box while she watched them begin to go look throughthe journal as she watched Matthias flip through the book for a few seconds before he found something in it as she looked at him confused. "Did John Doe write this backwards I must have not seen that, wait no I opened it backwards." Matthias explained as Woods looked at him before he spoke. "There was nothing in that before." Woods explained looking at him as Matthias asked if he was sure before Sam confirmed it. "What's in it?" River asked confused as Matthias showed it to everyone in which was a code of some sort maybe before thinking John Doe might have tampered with evidence as they saw it was a bunch of letters and the alphabet with a bunch of x's and o's.

They began to realize it had been a cipher as Matthias gave the journal to Woods while he looked through it as they talked about trying to figure out what the code that they are looking for and where would it be as they believed that John Doe could have written it or someone from the police station as they talked about how John Doe might have not just abandoned them but gave them information to help them before talking about his email as Matthias reread the email to them before they discussed how he mentioned Deb's files, getting confused since they did cut off all contact with her as they continued discussing about it before Matthias read a submission from the Reddit. "The slot in the device they found is for a SATA drive. If you look closely you can even see the L shaped connection ports for data transfer and power in the correct position and orientation to accept a drive. SATA came into use around 2000. The device is likely from 2003 or so. So is the RSD. It's a hard drive." Matthias explained looking at them as he showed the photo to everyone before he read a comment from the submission.

"I believe that this device is meant to function with the RSD software. This is likely meant to be a portable RSD or something similar." Matthias spoke looking at the comment as Sam decided to speak as she looked at him. "We haven't found any hard drives or anything in our clues or evidence." Sam explained as Bailey nodded agreeing with her as she added onto what Sam said. "Definitely not an old one. I've never seen an hard drive that has a port like that." Bailey added as Matthias explained about the platter drives in the server as Sam looked at him. "I don't know if you remember, but you destroyed the server." Sam explained looking at him as he crossed his arms looking back at her. "Not all of it, it was in different pieces." Matthias explained as River nodded before she spoke. "We could always go and check." River explained as Matthias agreed with her before he decided to continue what he was saying. "Some of it is intact. I didn't smash every hard drive. I smashed the server so it doesn't work anymore." Matthias explained as Sam nodded before everyone got up, going over to the servers as Matthias went inside to search for some before asking for a screwdriver which Woods went to go and get. While Woods was gone, Matthias explained how he didn't see any of the hard drives to look to be impacted by him smashing the server as River looked in there from outside.

After getting the screwdriver from Woods they began hearing the noises from it before explaining the hard drives as he spoke. "I have some hard drives. Syntec storage drives, 30 gigs. Isolated information, status classified, okay we have..." Matthias spoke as Sam decided to ask a question as she held the camera. "Is there anything about the spire?" Sam asked curious as Matthias decided to try and look as he spoke. "Project Pegasus, Project 863, Project Absolute, Coordination Relief Spire Local  1143859B. Hold on let me disconnect this one." Matthias spoke as the group heard noises of him disconnecting the drive before he came out of the hole before looking at the drive as he showed the end to it before he read something on it. "ID: 16-18-15-10-05-03-20-08-06-03." Matthias spoke as something was able to click into Rivers head as she spoke. "What's the 16th letter of the alphabet?" River asked as she watched Bailey count before Bailey responded back to her. "P." Bailey explained looking at her as Matthias caught on before he decided to speak. "What is the 18th?" Matthias asked looking at them as Bailey went back to counting for a moment before she responded back to him. "R" Bailey explained looking at him as she held the journal in her arm.