Chapter 48: Oh These Two Gays...

Logan slowed down in front of the orphanage, coming to a stop on the side of the road. They could see Roman and Remus waiting outside, Roman had a guitar case hanging from his shoulder. "We'll pick you up at one o'clock, okay?" he told Virgil.

"Okay, thank you," Virgil replied, unbuckling and starting to get out of the car.

"Have a good time, Virgil."

"Bye, I love you, dad," the teenager said before he realized what he said. He fought down a blush and panicked. "Oh- I uh..."

Logan smiled warmly. "I love you too, good bye."

Virgil nodded and quickly closed the door, turning to see Remus smirking at him.

"What took you so long, strawberry?" he teased.

"Oh shut up," Virgil told him.

"What? Embarrassed by telling your daddy that you love him?"

"Remus, shut up," Roman told him, before turning and smiling to Virgil. "Okay, time to hang out with the kids!"

"I see you have your guitar," Virgil noted as he walked up the steps, knocking on the orphanage door.

"Of course! Kayden had asked me to bring it last time."

Janus opened the door, Kayden, Maggie, and Victor behind him. "About time you three showed up, hurry on in."

The three of them walked in, and as soon as Kayden saw the guitar he gasped in excitement. "Is that your guitar?" he asked, jumping on his heels.

"That's right, little one," Roman replied, patting his shoulder.

"Can you play something? Please?"

"Sure! I know quite a few songs. Let's move to the living room though, so we're not blocking the door or stairs."

"Yay!" Kayden jumped in joy before rushing towards the living room holding Maggie and Victors hands, passing Delores who was just leaving her office.

She turned to them and gave them a smile. "Only a week later, and you're already back here," she sighed, walking over to them. She pulled Virgil into a hug. "I'm so glad you boys found some good friends."

"We just can't resist this place," Roman told her. "All the lovely kids here who had been Virgil's and Janus's family for so long, as well as a lovely motherly figure."

"You're so sweet. Well, don't keep those children waiting."

"Yes ma'am!" Roman took the guitar off of his shoulder and walked over, followed by Remus and Janus.

"Oh, and Virgil!" Delores turned to him. "Your birthday is next week, isn't it?"

"Right, I-I forgot about that," Virgil admitted sheepishly.

"Turning 18! It's so exciting, especially now that you have a home and family to take care of you. Next time you come over, I'll try to have a present for you."

"Oh you don't need to, it's okay, seriously," Virgil tried to reassure her.

"Oh nonsense, I know you're not one of my kids anymore but I still want to do it. It's so exciting! Now go hang out with the others, I know they missed you."

Virgil smiled. "Thank you, Delores. I appreciate it, seriously."

Kayden was jumping on the couch as Roman tuned his guitar. As soon as Virgil walked in, the little boy patted the seat next to himself for the teen. Virgil sent him a smile and sat down, Kayden grabbed his arm and turned back to the demon as he strummed a chord.

"Okay, all tuned," Roman said, looking up at his small audience.

Remus and Janus stood by the door, Maggie and Victor sat on the ground in front of the couch, and Kayden was watching him with excitement.

"What song are you gonna play?" Kayden asked.

"You'll see, I actually learned to play this song quite recently," Roman hummed, making everyone quite curious.

He played a few notes before he sang, "I sense there's something in the wind, that feels like tragedy's at hand..."

Virgil instantly recognized the song, it was Sally's Song from The Nightmare Before Christmas... It was also one of the songs on his playlist. One of the songs he and Roman listened to on the bus. It wasn't just that first time, a few days after they had met. After school, sometimes Virgil and Roman would share earbuds and listen on the ride home.

Roman sang on, "And though I'd like to stand by him, can't shake this feeling that I have, the worst is just around the bend." An ominous feeling filled the room, as if Roman's words were true. It was exactly what the song writers had wanted, since Sally had sensed Jack's mistakes.

"And does he notice... my feelings for him? And will he see... how much he means to me? I think it's not to be." Virgil frowned as a sad look filled the demon's eyes. His fingers moved fast on the guitar, switching between chords and notes. He continued to sing on and everyone in the room carefully watched and listened. It was as if every word was laced with magic, maybe it was? If so, it wasn't clear if Roman had meant to do that or not.

The song wasn't long, at least there weren't that many lyrics. Virgil knew exactly every word, having heard it a million times, and it made it easier to follow along. However when Roman sang it... it was the most beautiful and important thing to the human. Nothing could compare to this moment.

"And will we ever... End up together? No, I think not, it's never to become... For I am not the one..." Roman trailed off, his fingers slowing down.

The room was silent only for a second before the three youngest started clapping enthusiastically. The demon smiled warmly at them as Virgil caught his breath, realizing that once again Roman had made his heart flutter.

"That was so good!" Maggie shouted.

"Didn't Sally sing that?" Kayden asked.

"Mhm, cause she loved Jack," Victor answered with a whisper.

"What other songs do you know?"

"Plenty," Roman answered with a laugh.

"Play some more!"

~~~

Kayden laid against Virgil, half asleep. After Roman had played a few more songs, Maggie got bored and wanted to watch a movie. So she turned one on and they all had gotten comfortable in the living room together.

Virgil laid against the arm of the couch, and Roman sat in front of him. They were watching Mulan now, which Roman hadn't seen yet. Virgil couldn't help but relax, everyone acted as if he had never left. Everything was so nice...

Just as the movie was starting to finish, the doorbell rang. Janus sat up and looked over, remembering that he had plans with Remy and Emile. He reached over from where he sat on the couch and tapped Remus, whispering, "That's for us."

"Ah," Remus pouted. "Fine."

"See you later, Roman and Virgil."

"Bye," Virgil responded while Roman just merely hummed in response, completely focused on the movie.

"Oh, and Virge," Janus whispered, leaning closer so Roman wouldn't hear. "Take your boyfriend on a date sometime."

Virgil blushed brightly and turned to Janus with a glare. "We're not dating."

"Sure you aren't. Well, see ya anyway."