Chapter 52: Fight! Fight! Fi- Nevermind, Run!

CW: kidnapping, stabbing/impaling, blood (human and not), gore (kinda in detail), death (angels)

"My name is Pane," she introduced herself as she walked over to Janus. She tore off the duct tape from the witch's mouth. Janus winced and rapidly blinked his eyes to keep down the tears.

"Pain?" Virgil asked with a small voice.

"I suppose in the Latin alphabet, you would spell it as P-A-N-E, not to be confused with pain, P-A-I-N," Pane explained.

"Like a window pane?" Janus asked tauntingly despite their situation. "You know, when my boyfriend finds you, he might just throw you into the window pane, and hopefully out of it. When he does, I hope it's painful." He tried to use his magic to get free, only to find it wasn't working.

"Oh, your magic is useless here," Pane said. It's demonic, and we've purified this room specifically to keep your spells from being used, and to keep those demons out if they should find us."

"Pane," an angel teleported in. "Jonathon hasn't returned yet. We think the demons have him."

Pane frowned in thought. "Send back up to him. The prince is cursed, he won't have magic during the fight. They're both desperate. But remember, only go to retrieve Jonathon. You won't be able to take them down on your own, we need to weaken them first."

Virgil felt a weight appear in his pocket as he listened to their conversation. It was his knife. He thanked Roman's magic and started to slip his arms through his jacket since the tape was only on his hoodie, that was their mistake.

He would have to be fast, he'd have to grab his knife and quickly cut Janus free. He can't leave him here, it would be harder but maybe not entirely impossible.

"Take three angels to save Jonathon. Don't be too long. If the demons cause anymore trouble, tell them that if all of you don't return in 10 minutes that we'll kill the humans."

Janus felt himself pale. She was serious about the threat, but would Roman and Remus understand that it's serious?

He glanced over to Virgil, quickly noticing that he was trying to escape. The duct tape was tight, but Virgil seemed to be making progress. Janus frowned and tugged some more. Unfortunately, he was wearing a shirt. Long sleeved, yes, but he wasn't about to run away without a shirt. Plus it would be too obvious if he tried to escape.

"Yes ma'am," the angel said before disappearing again.

Pane, and the other angels who were too focused on the archangel to notice anything, turned to the two humans again. Her eyes widened when she saw Virgil finally free himself. He grabbed his knife and dashed towards Janus, just as three arrows hit his chair, being trapped by his thankfully invincible jacket.

Virgil quickly cut the tape off of Janus's arms, sweating as some angels rushed forward. Janus pulled on the tape to rip it faster and the moment he was free he grabbed Virgil's hand and dashed out of the way.

They ducked from some of the angel's hands, dodging them as best they could. However one hand still grabbed Janus's arm. Another angel grabbed Virgil, pinning his arms to his side as they lifted him up.

"Let us go!" Virgil shouted, gripping his knife tight. He really didn't want to hurt anyone, he felt sick at the idea of it even to save himself. But he focused on Janus and saving him.

The window shattered and Virgil looked over to see Remus and Roman jumping through. They both stumbled a bit at first, possibly because of whatever spell was placed on the room, but still got ready to fight.

"Remus!" Janus shouted, trying to tear himself from two angel's.

"Close your eyes you two," Remus said, summoning two green spears. He threw both of them with all his might at the two angels that were holding Janus.