Chapter 90: Are There Mouse Traps for Demons?

CW: blood, gore, slight poisoning

As the movie started, Virgil started to relax more. Roman was leaning against the couch behind him, tapping his fingers against the cushion in excitement. He hadn't seen Lilo and Stitch yet, it was a new Disney movie to him.

However, not even the opening song finished before Virgil felt fear coming from the kitchen. Movement caught his eye and he looked over to Remus who was rubbing his chest in discomfort before frowning. There wasn't too much fear at first, a small worry, but within half a second it multiplied.

A loud shatter came from outside and Virgil sat up, looking at the windows and just now noticing they were boarded up behind the curtains.

"Ro-" he tried to say, but the windows shattered from behind the board. Small little imp arms stuck through and there was a growling as the kids started screaming.

More glass was shattered as the demons tried to get through. Some weren't imps, some were more powerful than imps. Everyone was on their feet in an instant, trying to back away from the windows as the movie was forgotten.

Roman summoned a bow and a quiver full of arrows, and Remus summoned a sickle. Virgil pulled out his knife as he turned to make sure the kids were all together. Their fear made it feel as if electricity was in the air, like lightning was about to strike.

There was a crash from the kitchen and Remus's eyes widened. "Janus!"

"Go!" Roman told him, pulling out arrows and shooting the imps back as they tried to break off the boards.

Delores and Virgil were standing in front of the kids as they tried to figure out what to do.

"Is there a basement?" Virgil asked.

"I-I don't know," Delores admitted.

"Where are Remy and Emile? And my dads!" Virgil looked around, but they weren't in the room. He felt fear coming from down the hall, did the demons surround them? Were they okay?

"Virgil, we need to get the kids out of here," Roman said, watching the wooden boards splinter. He would take out one demon only for it to be replaced by another. There were too many of them.

Remus teleported to the kitchen as fast as he could. Janus had pushed himself into the corner of the kitchen, a large knife in his hand. He slashed at any demon that got too close, but his hand was shaking and his skin was pale.

"Jan!" Remus called as he cut down some demons himself. The window in the kitchen wasn't boarded up and demons were crawling through, fighting to get in.

As soon as Remus got to Janus, he stood in front of him and fought back the demons as Janus caught his breath.

"Re-Remus, the spells," he tried to explain. Clearly the protection spells breaking had taken more out of him than Remus.

"I know, just hang on." Remus summoned Janus's staff. It was a black staff with a grip just below a white crystal ball.

Janus took it and drew the dagger that was hidden inside. He had finished spelling it the night before, so it would be more effective against demons than a kitchen knife.

"Are you okay?" Remus asked him. "Did any of them hurt you?"

"I'm fine. What about the kids?" Janus pushed himself next to Remus to stab a demon going for Remus's leg. It turned to ash in seconds and Janus was able to focus on the next demon.

"Roman is holding the demons off." Remus spun the sickle in his hand around, cutting off limbs and necks of demons that got too close.

"The safe room! Remy and Emile have one, remember?"