Chapter 64: Virgil and Roman are a Sappy Couple

After breakfast, Virgil went upstairs to get dressed. He assured Logan and Patton that he could do it himself, as he has before. But, in reality, Roman had to help him still. At least with his shirt, he could change his pants just fine.

However, he decided to wear a long sleeved shirt to bed. Roman helped guide his arm out of the shirt, moving his shoulders as little as possible. Virgil was able to move his right elbow, but anything else just brought a wave of pain, even with the medicine.

Virgil sucked in a breath between his teeth and tensed up the muscles in his arm moved too much. Roman sighed softly before continuing to pull the shirt off.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine, it'll be fine," Virgil answered. He hated when Roman worried over him.

The demon deflated and rested his head on Virgil's uninjured shoulder, hugging him from behind. "I wish I could get revenge for you."

Virgil turned his head to him and kissed his temple as best as he could. "Do that when I'm dead, hopefully in a handful of decades."

Roman looked up and pulled away. "I'll do my best to make sure you live a long and happy life." His eyes trailed Virgil's back, looking over the scars that were carved there. He let his finger trail over the marks that made up the pentagram. "I do wish this life wasn't forced upon you, though."

"I'm happy it was. It can be terrifying at times but... I got to meet you."

"You didn't like me at first."

"Oh I was scared, that's true. But you can't blame me, demon's are seen as monsters by most humans." Virgil turned to Roman and took his hand. "But you're just a big old softy."

Roman purred as he smiled wide. "Let's get a shirt on you, dear, so we can put the sling back on."

"Ugh, my poor neck! It digs into my skin," Virgil dramatically complained, reaching up to rub where his neck and shoulder met.

"You're lucky Remus and I were there to cover up the scars on your back with magic, otherwise you would have had a very interesting story to tell the police. Let's not have your parents walk in here and find out about it right now."

Virgil reached for his shirt. "Yeah yeah, I get it. Help me out here first."

"That's my job, dear. Do you want to put on your jacket before you put on the sling?"

"Sure." He slipped his head through before finally pushing his good arm through the last sleeve. "It'd be nice to wear it today."

Roman kissed Virgil's forehead before using his magic to make the black material float over. He helped Virgil's injured arm through it first, then his good arm.

"Gods, remember when those kids burned this?" Virgil asked with a laugh.

Roman frowned. "I try not to. Every time I think of you crying, it hurts worse than last."

"I'm sorry, I know you don't like it."

"I am proud of your creative solution to fixing this. Purple looks amazing on you."

"Yeah? Well, a sling would be real nice too."

"Oh, shit, right." Roman grabbed the sling with his magic before helping it onto Virgil, who just laughed at his reaction.

"Thanks, princey."

"Anything for my king."

"Sap." Virgil smiled and looked away.

The doorbell rang downstairs, making his smile become wider. "Come on, let's go see Delores!"

~~~

Patton helped Emile pick up the plates from lunch as they continued to talk.