Chapter 28 || Bucky

Long chapter for you dorks :)

Jayce POV

"I still think you should sign, Jayce."

I groan as I fix my suit and shake my head, "I can't, Tasha."

"This isn't about what it means, it's about staying together. We're a team, all of us. You know this isn't going to be good."

"Fine by me, I'm not signing that damn thing," I roll my eyes as we walk towards the chapel and head inside as everyone heads out. Sam spots me and smiles gently but there's sadness in his eyes.

"He inside?" I ask and he nods, then looks to Natasha who doesn't say a word, just heads for the doors.

I follow her inside and we walk down the aisle, seeing Steve alone in the room, staring at the casket and images of Peggy.

We stand in front of him, my eyes watching the man standing still, his head hanging low. He presses his fingers between his eyes, shaking his head.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too," Natasha says softly and Steve looks up at both of us.

His eyes cast over to me, as if he is questioning something but I just shake my head at him, letting him know I didn't sign the damn thing.

"Who else signed?" He asks, directed at Nat.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired," I smirk and Steve smiles smally, "Wanda?"

Natasha clears her throat, "TBD," But I shake my head, "She's not signing."

Her green eyes glance over to me but when I don't look back, she lowers her gaze and takes a moment before looking back up at Steve.

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet."

I nearly scoff at that, but Steve just sighs in response. Natasha takes the hint and looks down, stealing a quick glance at my hand that I can feel she wants to hold but right now I can't. It's state. She signed the Accords and is going to the public signing in Vienna.

I'm not.

"Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

I can feel her eyes on me as she says that and it makes my chest tighten. I swallow a lump in my throat and try to stay strong but I know she's scared, worried that I'll turn on her completely.

Reaching over, I take her hand in mine and feel her body practically destress right in front of me. She releases a relieved sigh and when I look up at her she smiles gratefully.

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve says and Natasha stiffens again, turning away from me and looking at the blonde man with solemn eyes.

"I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

She drops my hand and nods, "I know."

"Then what are you doing here?"

We look at each other and I nod for her to go to him so she steps forward with a smile, "I didn't want you to be alone...come here."

She pulls him into a warm embrace and I watch as Steve breathes out in relief, almost like he's been holding his breath all day so far. They hug for a few seconds until they pull away, Steve wiping at his eyes before he looks back at the display at the front of the room and nods, "Thanks."