67 | "frenemies"

⋮♫⋮

⋮♫⋮

Ever since she had first encountered her freshman year, Keilani felt an absurd amount of anxiety whenever she was anywhere near Sue Sylvester. So, when the principal contacted her and asked Keilani to meet her in her office, Keilani's stomach was twisting into knots as she sat down in the chair in front of Principal Sylvester's desk.

Instead of greeting her, Sue bluntly asked, "Why weren't you here earlier? I asked you here an hour ago."

"I had a math test, and I couldn't leave."

"Why does that matter?"

Keilani wanted to answer, but she instead chose to shake it off and ignore the question. "Why'd you call me down, Principal Sylvester?"

Sue pulled a bright purple folder with Keilani's name written across the tab and opened it. "Wanted to congratulate you. You're academically tied with Artie and Tina for the top spot."

Keilani blinked in surprise, hadn't expecting to be anywhere near the top of the McKinley senior class. She had always had incredibly good grades and scored well on the SAT  – hell, they were part of the reason she got into Yale  – but she hadn't expected to be as good as Artie and Tina. Those two were geniuses, and, for the past four years, she had always thought she was trying to catch up with them, not compete with them.

"Thank you, Principal Sylvester," She eventually responded as she took a closer look at her transcript on the table.

"Why are you thanking me? I didn't cause this."

"I wanted to thank you for congratulating me," Keilani said awkwardly, fidgeting in her seat as Principal Sylvester stared her down intensely. "So...what does that mean? Are all three of valedictorian? I'm not sure how any of this works."

"Well," She began as she pulled the folder out of Keilani's hands. "If you had actually showed up here when you were supposed to, you'd be competing in the speech competition against Artie and Tina to decide who got the valedictorian spot."

"Are you going to make me compete in the competition now?"

"Absolutely not," Principal Sylvester shook her head. "You don't have the willpower and level of emotional instability needed to compete against Artie and Tina. So, whoever ends up loosing, you'll share the salutatorian position with them."

Even though Keilani was terrified of Sue, she couldn't help but mumble, "That doesn't seem entirely fair..."

"Do you want to go up against them?"

She hesitated, but after thinking about it for a few seconds, shook her head. "They might kill me in the process."

"You would absolutely be their first target," She agreed. "Maybe they'll kill each other. That'd be fun to watch."