Arc 4 chapter 2: sports festival announcement (part 2)

"The ten students who score the lowest overall scores will receive a deduction of ten points," Sakagami-sensei explained.

Now that we'd heard the rules, it was time to look at the different kinds of events in this sports festival. They were divided into two categories, "all participants" and "recommended participants." "All participants" was exactly what it sounded like: an event that literally all the students in a class participated in. Individual events like the 100-meter dash fell into that category, as did group events like the tug-of-war.

Meanwhile, only certain select students would participate in "recommended participant" events. The word "recommended" implied that a person was nominated, but a student could put themselves forward if the rest of their class agreed. A single person could also participate in a competition meant for multiple people. Events in the "recommended participants" category included the scavenger hunt, the mixed-gender three-legged race, and the 1200-meter relay race.

Point gains and losses were determined purely by the event results, but the combination of team competitions and individual competitions made the festival tricky. We had to be wary of our enemies, classes B and C, but also mindful of our allies, class D. Class A and class D would be helping each other, but to get first place in the combined scores across every grade level, our own class needed to take the top spots in multiple competitions.

"Details of the events are noted in your handouts. There will be no changes whatsoever," said Sakagami-sensei.

"Ugh, this is crazy hard, though! This is on a completely different level than junior high!"

Events for all participants

100-metre dash
Hurdle race
Capture the flag (boys only)
Ball toss (girls only)
Tug-of-war (separate events for boys and girls)
Obstacle course race
Three-legged race
Cavalry battle
200-meter dash

Events for recommended participants

Scavenger Hunt
Four-way tug-of-war
Three-legged race (mixed boys and girls)
1200-meter relay race (mixed grade level, all three years)

Thirteen competitions in total-a grand lineup. The numbers indicated the order the competitions would be held in. There was some dissatisfaction over the large number of events for all participants.

"There would normally be, like, three or four events for a single person! Besides, is it even possible to do all these in one day?"

"I appreciate your concern, but the school already considered that," answered Sakagami-sensei. "No events require specific skills, such as cheerleading, dancing, or coordinated group gymnastics. The sports festival will be a thorough test of your general physical ability and stamina."

The unathletic students' resistance was in vain. Sakagami-sensei had anticipated their every complaint.

"Another important thing to note is the participation table. Fill it with the order you'll participate in, and I will submit it to the school on your behalf. I don't imagine any junior high has adopted a system like this, so do be extra careful not to make any mistakes. Your class must come to a consensus on everything to do with the sports festival, such as which students will participate in which events. No changes will be allowed once the deadline passes, no matter the reason. The submission window opens one week prior to the festival and ends at 17:00 on the day before it begins. If by some chance you miss the submission window, you will be assigned randomly. So, be careful."