29

|Sean's POV|

If Joseph was after Athena, I wasn't going to tell Alessio about it. He was not exactly sane at the moment and he would take irrational actions which would fuck everything up.

It was best if I deal with that problem alone. I didn't want to include Enzo or Lea either for if anything was to happen to them or Nick, I didn't know what I was going to do.

Besides, Joseph wasn't even that powerful so it was going to be easy to get rid of him. It was Athena who I was kind of worried about. She was the female version of Alessio; had a problem with remembering people's names, loved torturing-overall, she was absolutely crazy.

If that fucker, Joseph was after her then she was in danger. He probably had men keeping eyes on her and all that. Joseph wasn't exactly dumb. He knew how to get his shit done, it was how he reached this high in the first place.

He didn't want Athena so he could kill her, I knew that for sure. He wanted her because she was a weapon although she didn't know it or maybe she did. Nonetheless, she was one of the most powerful woman in the criminal world. Anybody would want her on their side.

Athena left ten minutes ago after we agreed we'd pretend that we didn't know anything about Clarissa's knowledge of the mafia and Athena being aware that her sister was plotting against her.

After Nick's birthday which was in a few days, I'd leave for France with some of my men and then we'd deal with Joseph.

After a few more hours of working, I left the office and headed straight home. I lived alone in a huge mansion with security all over the place. It was more of a fortress, really. The place was so secure that nobody could get in or leave without my permission.

When I kidnapped Athena, she was held in my main mansion, where all the illegal stuffs take place. I didn't allow my men to stay there, they'd only go there to work during the day and night as long as they wanted but they weren't allowed to stay as I did not trust any of them for they could steal things or go through files and stuffs. There were too many unfaithful idiots.

I only trusted a few, my second and third in command included. They were the only ones aware of all of my plans as I knew they were not going to betray me. The others were just- no.

I know I sound like an asshole saying that but it was entirely true. People could hardly be trusted and trusting them with your life was out of the question. Boss or not, when you're in the mafia, it's either you or nobody else. Thing is, this saying applied to them as well. Trust me, these people are just so disloyal that if you were dying, they weren't going to come and save you rather they'd let you die and save their own asses.

But really though, who would risk their lives to save yours? To them, they were more important. They'd always put themselves before you and that was part of the reason why I wasn't able to trust my own men. My father was betrayed by his right hand man, his second in command and that should be saying a lot.

When you're the boss, they don't have a choice but to look out for you and they would do it. But if it ever comes to the part where they had to choose between you or them-it was going to be them. They'd leave you out there to die. That was just how people were.

I barely knew these men just as they hardly knew me and I wasn't close with them. They worked for me, I was their boss. Listening to me and doing what I told them to was their job. They had no choice in that, most of them were not even there willingly. They were involved in drugs dealing and other shit that led them to me. They swore Omerta and that was it. They became part of the American Mafia, they went under my command.

There were consequences if you were to break the code of silence- that being death. and that was what kept them quiet-and that they were scared- not the fact that they cared about the mafia they were in. But if this code didn't exist? there would have been snitches after snitches.

My phone beeped with a message from Lea saying 'Watch over Nick for me tomorrow? He wants to spend time with you. Eli's staying with her grandparents. Enzo and I need to go to Italy for business purposes.'

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, knowing very well that she just wanted to spend time alone with that dumb fuck as I replied, 'Sure. I'm gonna pretend I believe the last part.'