Cold Shoulder

*trigger warning: mentions of abuse, torture, starvation"
__________________________________

Nat wasn't one to open up to anyone, so when you came to the tower at 15 you weren't surprised when she gave you the cold shoulder.

The whole team was very skeptical about you when Maria Hill dropped you off saying you were a new member of the team. No one knew why you were there or who you were so of course they treated you as such.

You became the odd one out. So you stuck to yourself. Coming to team dinners and working hard on missions but you didn't hangout outside your room. And every time you were out of your room you tried your best to avoid conversations. It was bad enough you could feel Nat analyze you and your actions from across the room, you didn't want to deal with the anxiety you had about talking to the team.

You did your best to hide your nervous tendencies, but of course Nat picked up on it. From you constantly playing with your rings or your necklace to picking the skin at your fingers or lips she saw everything. Nat couldn't help but think you were hiding something. Not only that, but it didn't help that you tried to avoid conversations about your past. This made Nat way to suspicious about your past and what your intentions were as a part of the team.

One day after a really hard mission the team had finally cornered you and bombarded you with questions. Especially because they saw part of your shadow powers but still didn't know the full extent to them. And they weren't even asking questions really. It was more of them demanding answers for 10 minutes while you fidgeted with your rings. The anxiety in you built as more and more team members joined in on the bombardment and demanding of answers.

Between Nat, Bucky, Tony and Steve the pressure was just building as Yelena and Wanda stood in the background waiting to see what would happen. While both wanted answers, they understood the hesitation to trust others. It wasn't until Clint and Sam joined in did you finally break.

"What do you want from me" you yelled.

"You want me to tell you how I was abused until age 5 by my parents until they got tired and ran out of money so they sold me off to some unknown organization for $1000."

"You want me to tell you how I was experimented on daily, tortured daily, starved daily all to fit the protocol of the "ghost" they were so desperately trying to create."

"You want me to tell you how I was forced to kill my best friend because they found out she was trying to escape."

At this point you were crying and you didn't know how much more you could take.

"I know you've all had your fair share of a hard past life, but Nick said that this was a team and that y'all were there for one another. But all I see is a group of people who's emotionally manipulating a kid."

At this point you were sobbing. You hadn't realized Wanda had come up behind and she put her hand on your shoulder to try and calm you down and comfort you and you violently flinched away. It was as if you were expecting her to hit you. And to be honest, you didn't know if she would or wouldn't. And Wanda heard that thought loud and clear.

"I know we have a mission tomorrow, but after tomorrow I'll make sure Nick reassigns me so you don't have to worry about the monster living with you anymore," you said as you left the room.

The team all looked at each other. Silently trying to figure out what to do. They all decided it would be best to leave it till tomorrow to figure it out.

The time came for the mission and you were already on the jet sitting in the far corner when the team came aboard. The team looked unsure on whether they should approach you or not. They decided against it and instead decided to walk through everyone's part of the mission. They figured it would be a hard one, but no one realized how hard until half way through.

It seemed as if the team was going to fail the mission. But in an instant the tides turned and everything stopped. No one knew what was going on until they realized you weren't answering.

You were too focused using your powers that you couldn't respond. It wasn't until Nat ran over to you to see before the team found out it was you through the coms. As the team ran back to the jet they failed to realize that you had over used your powers and were laying on the ground out cold.

You had never extended your powers that much before and to be able to cover the whole team while they finished their jobs was sure to cause some damage.

And it did.

They team waited almost two weeks before you finally woke up. Not only did they have to sit in their guilt for two weeks, but they had to hear it from Hill almost everyday that they were the reason a child was in the medbay out cold.

When you finally woke up you were alone. And you panicked. It wasn't until Maria and Nat rushed in to find you in the corner trembling did you feel somewhat safe.

Your trust for the team was basically gone and it would take a while for you to get there with them. But Nat, Maria, Yelena and Wanda made it their mission to give you the family you deserved, even if they didn't deserve you.