Hero

Exactly fourteen day have passed since my spiteful ex fiancée outed my brother and his love for Brandon, causing him to flee from London leaving everyone filled with worry, unanswered questions and a mountain of regret at the fact he didn't feel comfortable talking to any of us about everything that has now come to light on the evening that was meant to be a celebration of our boy.

Instead of having time to race around the city trying to find him I am here, in court trying to gain custody of my daughter before her mother places her up for adoption.

The day after she rocked up to Brandon's celebration of life and ripped everyone's worlds apart even more than they already were I contacted my solicitor. I had to confess that her father was now hiding out with Eleanora until we had confirmation that I could push for custody, and I was given the final decision that if she would not be willing to mediate, we would push for an emergency order to keep my princess safe. That day it was decided that Ian and Melinda would continue to care for her at an undisclosed location to prevent any risk of harm coming to her as we had compelling cause to believe that Emily was not of sound mind right now. The plan was that twelve days later a court will decide if they are happy for my name to be added to her birth certificate and temporary custody to be handed to me while Emily receives the appropriate treatment for her mental health issues that we feel she is displaying and hopefully once she is back to the old Emily we will come back to court and have a final order but into place to keep our daughter safe and to help us successfully co-parent our little girl.

Somehow I don't feel like my life is going to be this simple, yeah I get that my solicitor is telling me the facts of how these cases normally work but the mother of my daughter is not going to go down without a fight, she will never allow me to walk away with what I want because she is fuelled by hate and driven by a desire to destroy me.

"All parties in the Fiennes Tiffin and Dean case please proceed into court two" a lump forms in my throat as I take one last look around the waiting area for Emily, she is still a no show and as much as I wanted this to be done without her drama I still wanted to see that she cared a little bit, that she cared enough to turn up and fight me like I believed deep down that she would.

I follow Huw to the court room the usher waving us inside as he disappears off into a side room, the voice of Ian leaving the room and I sigh a deep breath of relief that he is here to show his support for me.

My solicitor leads the way to our side of the table placing his files on top before he moves around me "Mr Dean thank you for attending" he introduces himself to Ian "its nice to finally put a face to the voice, how have things been since we last spoke?" I take a seat and listen on as he explains that Eleanora is missing me, how his daughter has been going crazy about this whole situation and how he had expected her to come along just to create a scene. My heart races at the thought of what is being said around me, unable to shake the sudden feeling of dread that has just run through my veins like ice.

The door at the entrance of the court opens and in struts the familiar face of a solicitor that I had seen on a website whilst hunting for family law representation. The golden blonde razor straight bob bounces as she struts over to the opposite side of the table "Mr Thompson how lovely to see you again" the smile on her face tells me these two don't have a good history and I'm not so sure this is going to go well for me "Rebekah" Huw stutters out "what are you doing here" he speaks through gritted teeth "oh I'm here representing my client, Miss Dean" she waves her hand towards the door, my ex floats through the door like she is gliding on water, my own eyes looking like a deer in headlights as I take in the immaculate appearance of her now compared to the state she had rocked up looking just those few short week ago.

"Dad, Hero" the clipped tone of her voice tells me she is already fighting to contain her emotions. Huw introduces himself and briefs Rebekah on where we are at in the process as she was not present at the last hearing, and they would normally be in discussions prior to this moment.