Hero

The city lights flash past as the limo carries us to St Thomas' emergency department, the low sobs of the females in the car the only sound that has been in the stretched space for the last five minutes as we all try to wrap our heads around what has just gone down with Brandon.

The silence is broken as Mrs Fallow's voice squeaks out the question I had been waiting for "Emily darling what happened to my son?" I never expected her to speak to me, hell the daggers that have been coming from his mother to me has made it clear forgiveness for my actions isn't on the cards anytime soon.

I turn to look at the broken face of Emily, her eyes move to mine as we lock them together, I try to show her that I am here to support her through all of this, it doesn't matter what has been happening between us these last few months because right now in this moment Brandon is all that matters.

I move my focus back to the city streets as we cruise through the barely morning traffic, the pavements littered with weekend city goers who love to party in the high-end bars and eat the fancy foods that our top restaurants supply without the expense of living here fulltime.

The men dressed in their summer linen suits and the women in scantily clad dresses that they had chosen to keep them cool in the muggy air that had been sticking around this week until late in the evening but then disappears and leaves behind the cool chill that they are now feeling as they are all mingling together in the early hours on their way home or onto a club to continue with their end of summer bank holiday partying.

"Mrs Fallon" Emily finally speaks "Brandon had an evening packed full of fun, he laughed and sang along to the tracks he had put together" I know that she is stalling, not wanting to tell his parents that he just collapsed in front of us that his body just looked so lifeless and that in those moments as his body thrashed around gripped within the seizure that drew him into the unconscious state that the paramedics stretchered him out of the ballroom in we thought he was leaving us for good.

"Titan has stayed with him throughout, he helped him after his seizure had stopped and he went in the ambulance with him" the words are falling from her mouth like she is in a rush to clear herself of them all, as if they are poisoning her to have them on her tongue "we didn't want him to be alone" the sob that leaves her has my heart aching.

In all the years I have been jealous of the bond they had and now I am here unable to comfort her because of my own stupid actions, actions that I know need to be fixed because now more than ever she is going to need me to be her rock.

I clear my throat "Brandon had fainted after standing up to say his goodbyes, after he had fallen to the floor the seizure had taken over" I decide to fill in the blanks that they need to know but Emme seems unable to bring herself to say "Titan had been trained in first aid after my brain injury so he made sure nobody touched him until it was safe to do so and then once it was he did everything that he had been trained to do whilst we waited for the paramedics to arrive" whilst Brandons mother clearly doesn't want to hear the details from me his father has turned his attention in my direction.

As he holds his wife in his arms on the bench to the right-hand side of the car I continue talking in a gentle tone "Emily spent time talking to him whilst we waited and as soon as they arrived, they got him checked over and into the ambulance as quickly as possible".

"Thank you" Mr Fallow nods his head in my direction "I know things have been tense but my boy told me the effort you had made to fix things; I am grateful for all that has been said between you these last few weeks I know he wanted things to be fixed before he leaves us".

The fact he told his father about everything has me on edge, I don't want Emily finding out right now what I have planned and worse that he has helped me with everything especially in this enclosed space, the last thing we need is her hearing it from someone else and when her emotions are all over the place like this "I will always be grateful for his forgiveness and help".