xxiii

Young 007, stood in line with the other children

Young 007, stood in line with the other children. Slowly making their way into the rainbow room as the guards led them. The girl was merely twelve years old. Sitting in the rainbow room as she played with the wheels on the bottom of a car.

She was the only kid within the rainbow room allowed to have hair, but she didn't have much of it. It was barely grown out from a buzzcut that the Lab would give annually.

Andrea would look up from her little toy to look at the other numbers. Watching as the younger ones crawling on the floor after cars while others, like Ten, walked around with a trinket in hand.

Everyone sat in the room knowing that they were being guarded. They used their abilities to make their toys spin and go and for some reason, it fascinated them.

Andrea watched as the door opened, Papa making his appearance as he looked around. Presumably for Ten since it was his time for training and tests.

And that is when everything took a turn for the worst.

"Come on, Andrea," His voice oh so comforting to the young girl.

She hadn't noticed the blood dripping down from his nose. It was almost as if it were blocked from her mind.

And next thing she knew, everyone... everyone was dead.

And she just stood there, tears flooding her eyes as she looked appalled... he was still holding her hand.

"You had too...."

"We did what we had too...."

Andrea couldn't understand any of the conversations that had happened. Not even when he let go of her to talk to the only other survivor, Eleven.

It wasn't until Eleven started screaming that Seven had realized anything. Her back slammed against the wall of the rainbow room before she hit the floor.

But she hadn't been the only one screaming.

Andrea shot up from her sleep, breathing heavily as she looked at the time. Two-thirty. Andrea sighed as she looked over at the sleeping Steve.

He had stayed over after an escalation of events between them.

She tried to settle back down without waking him. Slowly lowering herself back down on the bed before she stared ahead.

"We did what we had to..."

She would never get his stupid voice out of her head. She'd never be free of what had happened on that fateful day in 1979. She would never be free of that guilt.

Andrea felt as Steve flipped over in her bed, "Sweetheart?" His voice was laced with tiredness, deep and groggy.

Andrea turned her head as she looked over at Steve who now laid on his stomach with his head turned in her direction, his eyes barely cracked open, "Go back to sleep."