Chapter 4

Oleana was writing on her clipboard as the elevator took her to the top level of Rose Tower. After several meetings and dozens of phone calls to prepare for the Gym Challenge opening ceremony and otherwise manage other Macro Cosmos business, the secretary was ready to fill out the last of her paperwork and call it a night. This was not to mention the constant need to contact the Energy Plant and ensure Eternatus was still kept in check while she and Chairman Rose were not there to supervise the facility in person. Indeed, it was never a quiet moment for Oleana, and that was how the devoted secretary liked it.

As the elevator reached the top floor, however, Oleana heard the sound of yelling and explosions from above. She let out a soft groan with her mouth closed, instantly knowing what was happening. The elevator door opened, revealing a man and a woman in their late twenties standing on opposite sides of the large room. The walls were decorated with cracks, and the floor had spots of blast burns all over the area.

The man had short, maroon hair and wore khaki pants and a sleeveless dark gray jacket. He clenched his teeth, and his hands were balls of fists as he glowered at the woman with his gold eyes. His Toxtricity and Alolan Marowak panted heavily with scratches all over their bodies.

The woman stood proud and tall, wearing a sleeveless, dark orange dress that complimented her slim figure, black high heels, and the most expensive gold rings money could buy. Her Doublade and Sirfetch'd had a few scratches on their bodies, but they showed no signs of fatigue. Doublade's plaque was dark brown, its hilt was gray, its eyes yellow, its arms purple and yellow, and its blades were red. The man's hard glare amused the woman as she flipped her raspberry-colored hair that reached past her shoulders and gave him a mocking look with her rose-red eyes. She was as powerful in battle as she was lovely to view, and she knew it.

"Marowak, Boomerang! Toxtricity, Discharge!" The maroon-haired man roared.

"Doublade, dodge, and use Shadow Claw! Sirfetch'd, charge in with Brave Bird!" The woman shouted.

Marowak threw its bone at Doublade, but it disconnected from its sheaths and charged at Marowak with its blades turned black with a purple outline. The swords hit Marowak in the stomach, sending it several feet away. At the same time, Sirfetch'd dodged bolts of electricity as it charged at Toxtricity with its body surrounded in a blue aura and its sharp stalk lance facing toward its opponent. Its stalk hit Toxicity in the gut, knocking the wind out of it. The Wild Duck Pokémon took damage from the attack, but it paid no mind.

"Now, both of you, use Brutal Swing!" The raspberry-colored woman shouted.

"Marowak, use Shadow Bone! Toxtricity, use Venoshock!" The maroon-haired man shouted.

Doublade's blades and Sirfetch'd's stalk glowed pink, and they charged at their opponents. Toxicity shot multiple poisonous darts from its mouth, hitting Sirfetch'd, and Marowak, having regained possession of its bone, began spinning it with a purple flame gathering around one of the ends and a blue aura briefly flashing inside the center. Marowak stopped spinning its bone just in time to dodge both Doublade's swords and strike them from behind. The attack created a burst of purple and blue flames as Marowak sent both parts of the Sword Pokémon back and landed on the ground, groaning in pain.

The woman in the dark orange dress's smirk weakened at her Pokémon's sight in agony. Sirfetch'd was on one knee, clenching its teeth as it forced itself into a standing position. Doublade, being weak to ghost attacks, took a little longer before its swords levitated from the ground again. The man grinned, believing the tables had turned.

"Let's end this!" He shouted. "Marowak, use Shadow Bone again, and Toxtricity, use Fire Punch!"

But his commands made the woman smirk again, knowing her opponent had gotten cocky, and it was just what she needed to get revenge.