Chapter 56

Coovers and Goh struggled to keep calm as they rode in the back of a black car. Their battle against Venarge and Oleana's subordinates only lasted several minutes after distracting them before all of their Pokémon were knocked out save for Sobble. Their enemies allowed Coovers and Goh to return their Pokémon, including Sobble, who was still invisible before forcing them to go in the back of their car. Venarge sent his Corviknight to try to locate Sonia and Gwen, but they were long gone. He called Oleana on the way to the parking lot and told the agents he was flying to Hammerlocke ahead of them before he flew away with his Corviknight. While three agents took Coovers and Goh to their car, the fourth one with the Excadrill carried Agent Porter to his black car and drove behind them.

But even knowing that Sonia, Gwen, and Winnie had escaped, Coovers, in particular, was on edge. As the agents drove out of Stow-on-Side and through the mountains, Coovers worried about whether or not Sonia and Gwen could get Zacia and Zamazenta to help them or if there was a chance they could still be captured. He also thought of how Looker would react learning that he had been captured, potentially losing what credibility he had for getting proof against Chairman Rose. Finally, he thought of Timothy, Ash, and Serena, wondering if anything had happened to them now that the chairman knew about the mission. The only comfort he had was there were no red clouds in the sky, signifying that no Pokémon have Dynamaxed as of late, or worse yet, Eternatus escaped from the hangar.

Within a couple of hours, the agents drove through the mountain pass and down the road to Hammerlocke. The agent whose Durant was unconscious sat next to Coovers and Goh to keep an eye on them while the one with the Steelix drove and the one with the Ferroseed sat in the front seat. Coovers and Goh grew more uneasy as Hammerlocke came into view, but then Goh looked ahead of the road, and his face lit up.

"Hey, look," he said.

Coovers and the agent with the Durant looked at Goh before they turned their heads to where he was looking. Standing far in the middle of the road were Timothy, Ash, Serena, Electchu, Pikachu, Dragonite, Delphox, Pancham, and Sylveon. Ash and his Pokémon stood in the middle while Timothy and Electchu stood on the left and Serena and her Pokemon stood on the right. All of them stared in the direction of the cars with serious faces, and Timothy crossed his arms.

As the agents wondered what Coovers and Goh's friends were doing, Serena turned to her Pokémon and gave them a command, pointing at the cars. Without hesitating, Delphox, Pancham, and Sylveon used Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, and Swift, respectively, and the attacks collided in front of the cars, creating a massive firework explosion. The agents driving slammed the brakes, and the cars screeched into a halt. The agent with the Steelix grumbled as he and the agent in the front seat undid their seatbelts.

"Keep an eye on those two," the driver commanded the agent with the Durant.

The third agent nodded as his coworkers, apart from Agent Porter, got out of both cars and walked to the front of the leading car, looking daggers at Timothy, Ash, Serena, and her Pokemon. Coovers and Goh watched curiously as they waited for their friends to make a move.

"Gentlemen, you have two of our friends in your possession. I suggest that you let them go," Timothy said.

"Friends? I'm sure we don't know what you're talking about," the agent with the Steelix said.

"Liar! You have Goh and Coovers in your car!" Ash barked.

"Let them go now!" Serena shouted.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu shouted.

The agents laughed like teenage bullies watching younger kids try to act tough.

"Or what?" The agent with the Ferroseed asked.