Chapter 48

Sonia drove from Hammerlocke for a few hours before she, Coovers, Gwen, and Winnie camped for the night. At seven in the morning, Gwen's alarm on her Rotom Phone went off, and she prepared a quick breakfast before waking everyone up using Cufant. Coovers whined about how he thought they were past Gwen forcing him to wake up so early while Sonia made coffee. After breakfast, they got back into Sonia's car, and Sonia continued driving to Wedgehurst, recklessly making sharp turns and hitting bumps on the road as she drove.

But, while Coovers struggled not to speak ill of his crush's questionable driving with his eyes full of fear, Gwen stared at the window, downhearted. All she could think about was whether or not she, Coovers, and Sonia could solve the mystery and whether Timothy was okay. The thought of him getting hurt or ending as he did in her nightmare made her hold on to her mural necklace as if it was Timothy himself. Gwen considered calling him after she, Sonia, Coovers, and Winnie saw red clouds far away in the direction of Hammerlocke but decided against it, thinking he may be too busy battling Dynamax Pokémon. She wanted to be there to battle alongside Timothy and keep an eye on Ezria, but she knew she and Timothy had separate roles in saving Galar.

Winnie watched its partner stare out the window as it sat next to Gwen. Gwen told Winnie that she and Timothy got together while making breakfast. The Little Bear Pokémon was happy for Gwen, but as they sat in the car, Winnie grew worried, knowing Gwen missed Timothy. Winnie scooted close to Gwen and rubbed its head against her side, grabbing her attention. It gave Gwen a cute smile for support, and she gave it a small smile before she picked it up and hugged it like a child with her favorite toy. Winnie looked through the window together while Gwen was still holding it.

"How close are we to Wedgehurst?" Coovers asked.

"We'll be there in an hour," Sonia said. "Hopefully, Ash, Serena, and Goh are either already there or will arrive at Gran's laboratory shortly after we do."

"Do you have any idea where to start looking for clues?" Coovers asked.

"I was thinking we should go to Turffield and take a look at the geoglyph," Sonia answered.

Gwen snapped out of her glum state and turned to her rival, confused.

"Sonia, I've seen the geoglyph hundreds of times and haven't figured out anything," she said. "Do you really think you'll discover something?"

"Maybe, maybe not, but it's one of the biggest wonders of Galar connected to the Darkest Day," Sonia said. "Maybe we'll find something that supports your theory of Eternatus causing the storm back then or about the two kings. Plus, it's closest to Wedgehurst."

"So basically, you're thinking we go to every place in the Galar region that has some connection to the Darkest Day and see if we discover something new?" Gwen asked.

"Yup, yup," Sonia said with a smile.

"It sounds like we're risking a lot of time just to visit places you two have seen before, but if you think that's the best way to look for answers, then I trust you, Sonia," Coovers said. "Gwen, any objections?"

Gwen furrowed her brow and thought about it before she said, "I abide. It will be very time-consuming, but I don't have any better ideas. That said, I hope your idea will produce results, Sonia."

"Relax. We're both experts in the legend. We'll find something," Sonia said. "Besides, it might be good that Ash, Serena, and Goh will be here to help. The more minds on the mystery, the better."

"That's the spirit, Sonia," Coovers said.

Sonia responded with a cute smile that made Coovers' heart skip a beat. Gwen rolled her eyes, but then her face softened as their moment made her think of Timothy again. She shook her head and reached into her backpack to take out her sketchbook. Gwen looked through multiple drawings of the geoglyph and the mural, hoping to discover something ahead of time, but she didn't find anything that hinted at Eternatus or of there being more than one hero.