Chapter 46

It was morning the next day, and Ash, Serena, Goh, Pikachu, and Raboot were riding a train heading to Wedgehurst. The exact time that Galar Particles escaped the Energy Plant, Ash's Dynamax Band that he got from Leon was glowing from his backpack just as he, Pikachu, Goh, Sobble, and Raboot were about to go to sleep. They went to Professor Cerise and his team about it, and the professor was puzzled that Ash's band was glowing far away from Galar. Eventually, Professor Cerise received a call from Professor Magnolia, requesting that he send his research fellows to Galar immediately. So, Ash went to wake up Serena in her bedroom, and Professor Cerise drove them to the airport to take the next flight to the Galar region.

As soon as the plane landed, Ash, Serena, Goh, Pikachu, Sobble, and Raboot headed straight to the train station. They napped during the first few hours of the ride, with Serena resting on Ash's shoulder and their hands clasped together. Once they were well rested, the teenagers and their Pokémon ordered a plate of scones.

"No trip is complete until I eat a whole bunch of these yummy things!" Ash chirped.

"They're called scones," Goh said.

But Ash didn't listen to his friend. He handed a scone to Pikachu before they and Serena began eating their snack. While Serena and Pikachu ate their scones at a regular pace, Ash took big bites of two scones at once. He swallowed only for the food to get stuck in his throat. Goh sighed and sweat dropped as he held up his cup of tea.

"Have some tea," he said.

"Thanks a lot," Ash gasped.

"Honestly, Ash, when will you stop scaring me like that?" Serena asked as Ash washed the scones down with the tea.

"Sorry, Serena. I just can't help how these taste so good," Ash said.

"If you like them so much, I could find the recipe and make some for you," Serena said before adding in a motherly tone, "But you have to promise to eat slowly, or I won't make anymore. Deal?"

"Deal," Ash replied, beaming. "I bet you'll make the best yummy things in the world, Serena."

Serena giggled with her mouth closed as her cheeks heated up.

"Wow. I hope you haven't forgotten why we're here, Ash," Goh said in annoyance.

"Course we haven't. We're going to Wedgehurst so we can meet up with somebody Professor Cerise knows," Ash said. "I think her name was..."

"Professor Magnolia," Serena finished.

"Yup. She's the top professor in Dynamax research," Goh said.

"That's right," Ash said, acting as though he already knew the answer.

Serena smiled and shook her head at her boyfriend's absent-mindedness. Her face then softened as she looked out the window, her mind on the Gigantamax Snorlax she, Ash, and Goh stopped with their Pokémon the first time they came to the Galar region.

"I wonder what Professor Magnolia wants from us that made her want Professor Cerise to send us to Wedgehurst right away," she said. "It seems odd."

"Maybe it has something to do with how we were able to shrink Snorlax back to size or how Pikachu can Dynamax without going into its Pokéball," Goh said.

"Whatever it is, we're up to the challenge," Ash declared with a confident smirk. "And when we're done, I wanna find Timothy, introduce Odyssey to Riolu, and then challenge Timothy to a World Coronation Series battle. His Gengar against my Gengar."

"Pikachu!" Pikachu chirped.

"Classic Ash. Always eager for a battle," Goh said with a sigh.

"Well, Riolu would love to meet Odyssey, and I have to admit I wonder how Gengar will do against Timothy's Gengar," Serena said. "I'd also love to see how Timothy is doing collecting Gym Badges, among other things."