Chapter 51

Timothy stood still with his mouth hanging open. Part of him wasn't sure if he heard Ezria correctly or if there really was an engagement ring inside the Pokéball, but deep down, he knew the truth. The person he used to get evidence against her boss proposed to him. Electchu covered its mouth with its eyes wide, and its ears perked up as it stared at the ring. Eventually, Ezria broke the silence with a giggle.

"You're reacting better than I hoped," she said. "I'm flattered asking you to marry me would leave you so stunned."

Timothy snapped out of his shock and pursed his lips, thinking about what to say.

"Well, um, you weren't kidding about not beating around the bush," he said.

Ezria giggled again.

"Nope, I sure wasn't," she said proudly. "Do you like that I put the ring inside a Pokéball? Using one to contain the engagement ring is all the rage these days. I had it painted so that it looked exactly like the Master Ball. Thought it would be fitting since you used the real thing to save the world. Don't you think so?"

Timothy grew uneasy with how much thought Ezria put into the proposal, and he asked, "How long have you planned this?"

"Give me your answer, and I'll tell you," Ezria said.

Timothy mentally groaned, feeling more uncomfortable with Ezria's persistence. He turned to Electchu, who bit its lip and gestured with its head to say, "You gotta do it." Timothy pinched the bridge of his nose, mustering the courage to break Ezria's heart, and took a deep breath.

But before Timothy could utter a sound, he, Ezria, and Electchu heard a brief chuckle and looked to see Chairman Rose and Oleana standing on the other side of the gate. The chairman covered his mouth with his hand while his loyal secretary remained calm. Ezria's face grew as red as a tomato, and she sprung out of her seat.

"Uncle Rose! Aunt Oleana!" She shrieked.

"I'm sorry. We just finished dinner with Ash and Serena and wanted to know how you two are doing," Rose said.

"How long were you listening?!" Ezria screamed.

"Not long. Just shortly before you took out the ring," the chairman said. "Honestly, you two are lucky I didn't utter a sound as soon as you proposed. I was so ecstatic."

"I can testify," Oleana said.

Ezria's face went from tomato red to barn red as she covered her mouth to hide a squeal, and Timothy covered his face with both hands to hide a frustrated growl. Chairman Rose chuckled again, thinking both of them were flustered. Even Oleana let out a brief chuckle with her mouth closed. The area grew silent, with Timothy and Ezria not looking at Rose or Oleana. After several seconds, the chairman cleared his throat.

"Well, don't keep the lady waiting, Timothy. Give her your answer," he said.

"You're not helping," Timothy muttered with his hands still covering his face.

Though Timothy couldn't see, he felt all eyes on him. All he wanted was to shoot Ezria down once and for all and focus only on Gwen, yet he felt as though Ezria did something to make things worse every time he tried. He uncovered his face and sighed as he once again prepared to rip off the bandaid. He opened his mouth to speak until Ezria held her hand in front of him.

"No, Timothy. Don't answer now," she said. "I don't want to hear it now after the moment is ruined."

"Actually, Ezria, I want to tell you now," Timothy said.

"Nope. It has to be said when it's the two of us," Ezria said as she put away the Pokeball. "We're just going to have to find some alone time tomorrow where you can give me an answer. Ideally, before we possibly battle more Pokémon."