Chapter 60

Leon was on all fours as he looked up at Ezria. His Charizard rubbed its side, where there was a small block of ice formed from Avalugg's Ice Beam. Ezria stood tall with a sinister grin, relishing the sight of Leon on his hands and knees before her. Leon looked up, where Eternatus was still collecting Galar Particles from all over the region, and pushed himself up to face Ezria.

"Ezria, listen to me. Eternatus will be fully restored at any minute. We have to work together to catch it and seal it away," Leon said.

Ezria let out a high-pitched laugh, with Doublade, Knightblade, and Avalugg joining in.

"Did Uncle Rose say he mentored you to catch Eternatus?" Ezria asked mockingly. "Well, too bad. Uncle Rose gave me the assignment first, and I'm gonna see it through."

"This is no time to treat this like a competition!" Leon shouted.

"Oh, but I think it is," Ezria said. "In fact, if you want to be the hero of the day so badly, I'll battle you for the honor. A full battle deciding who gets the honor of Galar's Champion and its hero with only the challenger making substitutions."

"You can't be serious. You're so obsessed with proving you're better than everyone that you'll want to battle before trying to save everyone?" Leon asked. "You can't make me battle you."

"Are you sure? Cause if you ignore battle Eternatus and me, my Pokemon will attack you and make sure you're out of my way just like that," Ezria said. "At least by battling me, you have a fair chance to prove your worth for all of my beloved Galar."

Knightblade's proud stance faded and it turned to Ezria in disbelief. It was behind battling for Ezria both for taking Eternatus and showing she was stronger than Leon but threatening him to fight was too far to the Royal Sword Pokémon.

"Eternatus could be fully restored before we even finish a battle!" Leon pointed out.

Ezria rubbed her chin and hummed, pretending to think about it.

"You know something? I'm okay with that possibility," she said. "The way I see it, by capturing Eternatus in its full state, by having it submit to me, I'll prove that it can be tamed to power Galar for all eternity. That'll show you and certain parties that you've feared this blessing for nothing."

"You don't know the full extent of Eternatus's power. It may be too much for either of us," Leon said.

"I don't expect it to be easy, but that's the way I want it to be. I mean, what's a heroic deed without some difficulty?" Ezria said.

Leon growled in irritation and said, "Even if you beat me in battle, your Pokémon will be too weak to go against Eternatus."

"You just watch me crush you in battle Leon. Leave Eternatus to me," Ezria said. "I've been waiting all my life to put you in your place and to see Uncle Rose's dream fulfilled. After so many years of growing strong for me, I will not allow my lovelies to let anyone stop me. Not you, Eternatus, the police or even the love of my life. Now, face me in a battle or get out of the way. I have a region to save and a heart to claim."

Doublade and Avalugg exclaimed calls of confidence. Knightblade, on the other hand, looked at Ezria in stupefaction. Two months ago, it would have joined her party in cheering while holding its shield up in the air with pride. Still, as Knightblade listened to her, she sounded less like someone caring about the people and Pokémon of the region and more about how she wanted to be a hero for her image. Even the way she spoke about Knightblade and the rest of her party felt off. It sounded less like she was confident she would win because she trusted her Pokémon and more as she said so. Knightblade's first trainer sounded less like a wise and skilled person and more delusional and reckless at that moment.