One Step Towards Freedom

"Control leaves no room for trust."

- Excerpt by Glennon Doyle

I'm getting dressed for Chloe's birthday party. Lorenzo and I are in Seattle for it. It was originally supposed to be only me going but Enzo insisted on coming and we ended up buying her dream car for her birthday present.

I tried to convince him otherwise. To buy something less expensive but here we are with a gorgeous white car in our driveway.

I had to rummage through my bag to find an outfit and I found a semi-nice one. I really need to go shopping for more modest outfits because I have literally zero.

I don't know who's going to be there and hopefully it won't be any more family, especially on Lucas' side because it will be extremely awkward.

I put on a black crop top tank top with light blue stripes going down the side. I put on light blue jean shorts and added a black belt.

I pick out my white vans that I'm going to wear and go into the bathroom to begin doing my hair and make-up.

It's going to be a hot day today because I saw on the news so I decide to put my hair up in a ponytail with two strands out so it's not sticking to my back.

I put on winged eyeliner and mascara and that's about it, slicking my lips with clear lip gloss. I also added some gold stud earrings.

I go downstairs and when Lorenzo sees me, he shakes my head.

"What?" I ask, looking for my bag so we can go because I don't want to be late. I don't want Chloe thinking I'm not coming.

"Go upstairs and change. You're showing too much," he tells me and I scoff, rolling my eyes.

"There's no way I'm changing. I look perfectly fine," I say. Okay, maybe I'm showing my midriff but I show it all the time when I'm leaving so how is this different?

"I frankly don't give a fuck. Go upstairs and change," he demands, pointing upstairs and continues watching the T.V.

I cross my arms and don't move.

He looks up at me and we just stare at each other, tension building.

"I'm going in this outfit. It doesn't fucking matter what you think," I tell him, "So, let's go."

He doesn't move but continues watching the T.V.

"Lorenzo-"

"We're not leaving until you change your outfit and I'm serious about that. Mozhesh' prosto inogda poslushat'?" he grumbles.

I begin breathing hard out of anger and since it really looks like he's not moving. I glance at the coffee table with his keys on it. I go to grab it but he grabs my wrist harshly.

"Go and fucking change. Jesus Christ, Brielle," he demands and I move back as he lets go of my wrist.

I bite my lip pondering about what to do but I don't want to be late so I might as well go change and make this man happy.

"Can I just wear one of your shirts? I might wear something too "provocative" for your liking," I seethe and he rolls his eyes, obviously annoyed with my offensive way of speaking.

"I really don't care. Just cover up a bit," he says and I go upstairs, while grumbling, until I reach our room and I dig into his bag.

I find a light blue plaid button-down shirt and I put it on with the buttons, except one on the bottom, loose.