Protecting the Ones You Love

"No matter what evil might come one's way; to be loved is to be protected." 

- Excerpt from The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton

Once Sergei brings me into a deserted place, he lets go of me. I'm happy about that because my arm is beginning to hurt again.

He rips my champagne glass out of my hand and throws the glass onto the floor. Glass shatters and explodes everywhere, champagne spilling on the floor creating a small puddle.

He grabs my throat and pushes against the wall, squeezing hard but not hard enough to cut off breathing circulation.

"Did you fucking say anything to her?" he asks and I quickly shake my head, hoping he would let go of my throat.

That's the reason why he doesn't want me talking to other people. Besides controlling me, he's afraid I'm going to get help from other people.

He did kidnap me after all.

"I don't know if I want to believe you. You're a lying bitch anyway," he seethes. I would snap at him but I can't muster anything up. I'm worrying about breathing because if not, I'm going to end up suffocating.

"Brielle," he grumbles, "If you told her anything, I'll have someone murder Hannah and her child. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

I shake my head, my eyes are becoming watery and my vision is becoming blurry. Even though I want to cry, I furiously blink the tears away, my vision becoming in focus again.

He pushes me harder against the wall and I place my hands on his chest, gently pushing him away because I'm slowly becoming unable to breath.

"Plus, didn't I also tell you not to not to do anything without my permission. Were you supposed to drink anything?"

I shake my head again.

He removes his hand from my neck and I harshly intake a lot of air. I stare, afraid, at this monster in front of me. He brushes some hair behind my ear.

"Just be a good girl and nothing will happen."

He smooths his outfit with his hand, "We need to leave, anyway," he tells me and begins walking and I hurriedly follow him, ignoring the glass on the floor.

Thank god. I've been constantly watching the clock. We arrived at 7:45 and it's now 11:55. I'm hungry, tired, and in pain, especially around my throat.

Once we get around some people, I come closer to him. Pretending as if nothing just happened to me and everything is okay.

It's not.

We make our way out of the building while everyone says good-bye, leaving so soon, come again, etc. to Sergei and I. They really want me to come back but I don't. I definitely think the complete opposite.

I walk inside the bedroom we're forced to share together with Sergei right behind me.

He sleeps in here, forcing me to do as well and I fucking hate it. I can barely sleep, I'm terrified of him doing something to me.

He grabs my face and kisses me aggressively, pushing me against the wall where I have no space to go and I'm cornered by him.

Truth be told, he's a very sloppy kisser.

Like really.

It's making me feel very disgusted and it feels like I'm kissing a damn dog.

Well, the dog is practically a dangerous wolf if anything.