Unexpected Mood Shift

"Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing

A ring, I don't mean on the phone." 

- Excerpt from Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt

LORENZO ANTONOV

I'm bored.

Like deathly bored.

I wanted Brielle to be here as well as my friends but... she looked so happy with her sister that I just... couldn't take her away from that. She deserved it.

Plus, she looked hot in that outfit and at times I would remember that and get upset because other men are looking at the body that is mine.

During this party, I am ignoring Natalie like a goddamn hawk.

Seeing her puts me in a completely sour mood and I'm supposed to "enjoy" this night.

Thankfully, Mama is in Russia so I'm actually able to ignore this woman wholeheartedly but... I can't go too overboard about it.

"I want to quit," Zion's voice echoes throughout my head and I snap my head towards him as he brings me straight into reality.

"Huh?" Cai questions.

I finally comprehend Zion's statement. He's our best bodyguard, next to Cai obviously, and when Cai is busy he steps in and helps out.

"Why?" Dariya asks, taking a swig of her beer.

"I can't get over Hannah," he mutters, sinking deeper in his chair, "She hates me since I'm doing this... profession."

I mean, it makes sense. Some people don't want to be in the mafia voluntarily but the majority of the people in this group do. If it isn't for the money, it's for their other sick and twisted pleasures.

"I miss her."

I can understand his pain.

Especially since I'm dealing with both Brielle and Natalie.

Hannah must be a hard-head just like Bri.

"I think I'm going to quit."

Everyone's heads turn towards me, wanting to know the decision I'm going to make. If I'm going to let him leave or not.

I do and don't care if he quits or not.

Zion is one of the best but if he wants to leave, he can leave. I can't really stop him, I just need to figure out who can take his position. I mean, his group is kind of falling apart since they lost their assassin around a couple months ago.

"I'll think about it," I state and take a gulp of my drink and then notice that it's finished.

Milton, my section leader for the Northeast region of America, is already standing so I ask him to bring me another bottle of beer.

Soon, he comes back and hands me the beer and I take a gulp of it and I immediately know that something is off.

Very off.

"What drink is this?" I ask, in utter distaste. I don't really like salty drinks so I'm confused why it's like this.

"Beer?" Milton replies in confusion.

"Well, I don't like it," I mumble and I place the beer down because I don't trust it. Plus it was already opened.

"Did you get it from somebody?" I ask.