Can We Still Be Friends?

"Heartbreak's never easy to take, but can we still be friends."

- Excerpt from Can We Still Be Friends by Todd Rundgren

Scott and I are constantly on the phone talking to one another for hours at a time. We really are good friends.

Lorenzo noticed and he wants to know who the fuck I'm talking to and I gave him multiple excuses. Chloe or Hannah but he doesn't want to believe me.

At one point, he almost grabbed the phone to talk to them but I managed to convince him that he has work and to go do it and leave me alone.

Plus he never worried until now so what's the big deal.

Today, Scott asked if we can go out for lunch and I'm happy about it because I would love to go.

I'm also glad he didn't ask to eat dinner because I have work tonight. Lunch is nice. Plus, everyone is busy and no one is going to eat with me. It happens at least a week per month and it gets lonely.

While I'm getting ready, Lorenzo enters the room. He looks me up and down and furrows his brows.

"Why are you dressed so nice?" he asks and I ignore him, putting on my neon green tank.

"Brielle. I'm talking to you," he grumbles and I turn to him, giving him an annoyed glance.

"What?"

"Shouldn't you be sleeping for work? Why are you going out?" he asks and I shrug.

"Because I want to," I tell him. I use neon green bobby-pins and I push my hair back, "Plus you need to stop worrying about me."

He groans, sitting on the bed, watching me do my hair.

"I have worried about you ever since you became my woman and even before that. Now, let me ask you again, where in the world are you going?"

I take a deep breath. I can't sneak out can I?

"Since you need to know, I'm going to go out for lunch with a friend," I say, taking my mascara tube and putting it on my lashes.

"Is the friend a guy?" he asks and I stay silent. Not knowing what I'm supposed to tell him. I know damn well if I answer him and tell him the truth he's going to get pissed and then I'm not able to go anymore.

"I'm going with one of my co-workers. Who is a girl," I tell him, emphasizing the word 'girl'.

He raises a brow, wondering if what I'm saying is true.

"Name?"

I think of a name and then I remember one.

"Angela." Angela is one of my actual work friends. Well, I mean I don't know if we are considered work friends. At times she brings me to and fro from work.

"You sure it's Angela?" he asks and I let out an annoyed sigh.

Stop with the damn questions.

"Yes, Lorenzo," I grumble and I pull on my socks. I know he's going to look her up through his long database and if she's a real person. As long as he doesn't stalk me, there is nothing to worry about. If he does that, I'm done for.

"Good-bye," I say, giving him a kiss on the lips and going downstairs, putting on my shoes, and going into a taxi.

I really got to know Scott and it's rather fun. I love Hannah and Chloe but besides that they're really the only friends I have.

Dariya can be considered but... Dariya considers everyone a friend and Lorenzo is my boyfriend. Not a friend.