Blood

Ward End, Birmingham
May 11th 1925
"Are you alright Mrs Shelby?"
Aurora found herself staring at the dark walls in front of her, her brows creased as she tried to find her words. They were lost within her mind, spinning constantly until her head began to pound.
"Mrs Shelby?"
Turning to look at the woman leaning over in concern Aurora forced a smile on her face and nodded politely.
"Yes quite alright, thank you" Getting up from her chair, Aurora released her grip on the purse clutched to her chest and brought her hands down "I think I need some air"
"You look pale dear, why don't we sit and talk? Perhaps I could help ease your worries"
"Thank you for the offer but I must get going" Aurora responded opening up her purse and taking out a small roll of money neatly kept together by a band. There was only one place she wanted to be and it wasn't here. Handing the money over she watched it disappear into the deep pocket of a pinny "I trust we can keep this visit between us?"
A trick she'd learnt from her husband a long time ago, a trick she wasn't too proud of. Handing out money for secrets to be kept or spilt. It seemed such a waste especially when the money could go to better causes but being a Shelby meant you had to pay for silence and in this case keep gossip away from Tommy's ears.
"Of course Mrs Shelby, good day to you"

Adjusting the hat on her head so it sat lower on her face, Aurora raced from the room and made her way to the exit, crossing over the back door as quickly as she'd entered. She didn't stop running until she'd made it back into her car and away from any prying eyes. Aurora couldn't risk getting caught, not yet, not when she already felt worn down and unprepared for Tommy's questions.
Not wanting to stick around longer than she had to, Aurora started the car and drove out of the street. Escaping that house had done nothing to ease the spinning of her mind. She tried to drown her thoughts and bury them deeply within her, it would do no good to come home in such a mess. She was already late for tea which was unusual, unless she were to be with Tommy. He'd be wondering where she was now, he'd be coming home to expect her to greet him at the door.
'Why didn't you bring Charlie?' She thought to herself running through excuses trying to practice them as she made the journey back to Arrow House. Charlie would of been the perfect excuse, a trip to the park was perfectly reasonable at this time of year but she'd had to do this visit alone. Charlie was no good at keeping secrets, he would of snitched before they'd even entered the home. No amount of money or sweets could buy that child's silence so for now it was best no one knew anything but her.

Arrow House
"Sorry m'late, I lost track of time my loves" Aurora announced herself breathlessly with a big smile.
Charlie was already lost within his plate, his little mouth stuffed whilst Tommy sat there with a cigarette, his plate untouched. He'd been waiting, waiting for her.
"Have a nice day mouse?" He asked and although he'd questioned it differently, Aurora knew he was truly asking where she'd been.
Walking around the long dining table, Aurora placed a kiss on Charlie's cheek.
"Good evening sweet boy"
Continuing on her travels, Aurora bent down again, took the cigarette from Tommy's lips and kissed him. Turning to the ashtray, she stubbed the smoke out and gestured towards his plate.
"It's dinner time Thomas, eat" She ordered softly finally reaching her own chair and sitting down with a sigh "I was at the library and decided I couldn't leave until I finished the book I was reading. You know me, once I pick one up I can't put it back down until I reach the very last page"
"I just had new books brought in for you three days ago" Tommy answered looking bemused, surely she hadn't read them that fast. Aurora was quick but she wasn't that quick especially when she enjoyed a book and would read it over and over before moving on to the next one.
"I know but I haven't been to the library in ages Tommy, I missed the atmosphere and the smell of old books filling my senses as I find a hidden corner where I can just sit and read" Aurora protested with pouted lip and innocent eyes. It was true, she did miss the library but she hadn't been recently.
"Mam, can I come?" Charlie asked, his ears peeking up at their conversation. He loved going places with her, they were always exciting days.
"Of course darlin', the next time I go the library I'll take you with me. Perhaps I'll even show you my favourite spots" Aurora winked playfully as she began to tuck into her tea, filling her mouth with minted boiled potatoes, moaning once the flavours hit the tip of her tongue. She hadn't ate today yet it felt she'd went through weeks of starvation.