Goodbye

Aurora focused on the sound of her heels clicking against the cobbles rather than the cold that threatened to take hold of her as she walked back to Watery Lane from The Garrison. Her hands were in Tommy's coat pockets keeping somewhat warm on the journey. Behind her she heard another pair of footsteps, quietly following her path making Aurora smile to herself. Her instincts told her not to be frightened which only meant it was one of Tommy's men making sure she got home safe on Tommy's orders. In recent months Aurora hadn't been allowed to step outside the house alone without Tommy sending people to watch over her. She didn't mind, they never bothered her, in fact she never knew they were there most of the time.

The family remained behind, drunk in The Garrison as they celebrated Freddie's life before his burial tomorrow, today in fact as it was two in the morning after all. The scene inside the pub was heartwarming and Tommy's smile lit the room. It had been nice to see him so carefree and happy, reminiscing about his friendship with Freddie but feeling run into the ground Aurora made the decision to leave early. Her stomach and mind were unsettled and she thought it best to go home and sleep it off. She was certain it was because of the funeral, they had forever disturbed her greatly and it wasn't something she wanted to bother Tommy with. For once Aurora would try sleeping alone while Tommy had his fun. His words from earlier had brought Aurora a sense of peace inside her heart, she just hoped it was enough to help her sleep.

"Thank you" Aurora called out, glancing over towards her left side as she reached the Shelby house and unlocked the door before stepping inside.
To her relief the fires were still burning, filling Aurora with instant warmness causing the tips of her fingers to burn.
It was nice to be back home. Lately it seemed the more time she spent away from Small Heath the more she saw it as her true home and wanted to be back. Tommy was here with her loved ones and Fortune. The argument with her Dad earlier in the day, reinforced Aurora's need to stay in Birmingham.

Letting out a yawn Aurora made her way up the stairs and into her and Tommy's bedroom. Tommy, wanting her to stay more often had quickly replaced the tiny bed that once occupied the room and purchased a larger for Aurora's comfort and his. Being so close together had its advantages but not when they fought in their sleep.
Walking over to the fire, Aurora made sure to place enough wood on in order for it to stay lit throughout the night. She didn't want Tommy being cold when he got in from The Garrison. Taking Tommy's coat off, she carried it over to the chair and placed it neatly along the arm before looking up.

There hanging down from the window so it wouldn't crease was Aurora's new black dress. She remembered discarding her old one, promising herself she wouldn't wear another black dress again. It had only been a short time since then, how foolish she had been to think she could get through life without one. The day after Freddie's death, Aurora dragged herself to the nearest dress shop and placed her order. This time she hadn't cried, she hadn't felt much at all the day after his death other than to make sure Tommy and the family was alright. Polly had given her the excuse to go out and get some air while she took her turn to watch Tommy and Ada closely.
The dress was pretty and would serve its purpose until Aurora thrusted it back into its box and buried it under the bed.

Stripping out of her clothes, Aurora quickly plaited her hair and slipped into bed, burying herself into its warmth and closing her eyes.
Sleep without Tommy?
She could does this.

Aurora was asleep Tommy noted with a small smile as he closed the bedroom door behind him and sighed. Explaining his plans for London had went better than he had expected but John, John had some resistance which aggravated Tommy yet not too much. John would follow in the end, he always did. For now Tommy would allow him to believe he could protest until Freddie's funeral was out the way. Tommy also knew Aurora had her worries about London, thankfully for him her argument had died down recently giving way to nothing but support. He did all this for his family and now that included Aurora.
Fumbling with his tie, Tommy threw it to the ground along with his blazer and unbuttoning his shirt he drunkly but quietly made his way over to the bed, being careful not to wake the mouse as he crawled in next to her and allowed his eyes to shut.