Letter

"So strange.....it's strange isn't it Lizzie?" Aurora whispered staring at her reflection with wide eyes. She didn't look like herself and Aurora wasn't sure if she loved or disliked what she saw although the process had been fun. Her eyelids were the deepest black making her eyes more golden beneath the light. The rouge on her cheeks made it seem as if she were too warm or constantly blushing and her lips were a deep red that appeared purple when she turned her head from side to the side. Her lips also appeared more stern and pronounced like they were puckered for a kiss or about to sharply snap at someone. Aurora wondered if it was truly her beneath the make up and her hair..........
Long gone were her dark curls, instead she had been styled with the illusion of a sharp cropped bob. Lizzie had took her time in carefully folding and pinning Aurora's curls to the bottom of her head after Aurora had expressed her concerns about cutting her hair. She loved her curls but she had wanted to be adventurous and try something new just for tonight. Aurora was certain Tommy would be stunned when he saw her, perhaps he wouldn't even recognise her.

"It is strange but a wonderful strange" Lizzie replied as she adjusted the necklace dangling from Aurora's neck and making sure it didn't become tangled with Tommy's and break the delicate pearls. Lizzie was sure Aurora would wear that birthday necklace to the grave, there was no convincing her to take it off despite it not matching with the dark red and gold that decorated Aurora's form.
Standing up Aurora brushed down the deep velvet skirt of her dress and did a single spin with a smile on her face, she felt good. The incident that had taken place today was now lost in her mind as her heels clicked against the floor and her jewellery sparkled under the light.
"Ere! Get this down you!" Lizzie grinned passing Aurora a glass filled with a clear liquid.
Taking the glass Aurora held it up to her mouth and threw the drink back, wincing as the large amount of straight gin coated her tongue and throat. It was strong and it was exactly what she needed. The buzzing beneath her skin was automatic sending a wave of calmness over her.
"You ready?" Lizzie asked taking Aurora glass back off her and placing it down on the bedside table.
Nodding her head, Aurora resisted the urge to wipe away the gin that coated her lips and linked her arm through Lizzie's before pulling her towards the bedroom door. Aurora was going to have some fun tonight no matter what happened and if anything got too bad she would just drink until the world slipped away and she was in a state of bliss.

"Do you think Arthur will turn up?" Lizzie wondered as her and Aurora walked along the road, their arms wrapped around each other as they braced the cold without their coats. They had both wanted their dresses to be seen by all but now the women held the smallest amount of regret at choosing not to dress for the weather.
"I don't know, I want him to but Arthur.......he just needs some time, you know? But what is too much time Lizzie? I don't want him to keep isolating 'imself at 'ome" Aurora confused with a sigh, her teeth chattering with each word she spoke.
"He needs a new purpose in life" Lizzie muttered pulling Aurora around the corner that lead them towards The Garrison.
"Agreed, I think we all do" Aurora giggled, a wide smile on her face as she took in the happy faces going in and coming out The Garrison. Life had past by slowly since Aurora had seen such a sight. To her The Garrison was one of the hearts of the family and it was imperative that it be here.

Aurora couldn't keep her jaw from crashing to the floor as she walked through the pub doors. The inside was buzzing with life and filled with the sound of music and laughter followed by glasses clinking together. Everywhere Aurora looked all she saw was a sea of red and gold. She knew Tommy had wanted The Garrison to showcase some of the wealth the family had worked hard for but this wasn't what she had expected. The pub no longer looked like it did before instead it looked like a room within a castle. Even the usually messy regulars were trying their hardest not to spill any drink upon the fancy new furniture.
Aurora could see Tommy behind the bar looking like a king amongst his people. He smiled widely as he served them and did his scoff of laughter at their jokes. Tommy's smile was enough to lift the dullest of days and Aurora prayed to whatever God there was for him to keep his smile throughout the night. Aurora couldn't yet see Arthur, she didn't expect to see him yet it would of been nice to.