Masilda

Two hours since she had walked through the office door. Two hours she had spent making mistakes and messing up her work, sending everyone into a spin of confusion. Two hours her mind wondered freely, her head aching from the pressure of her thoughts and the questions within them. Without her head resting strongly on her shoulders, the whole office was turning into a picture of complete chaos.
Tapping her pen against the paper she had so roughly signed, Aurora decided enough was enough. She was done hiding in her office plus the guilt she felt was clawing at her inside. Aurora had heard her Dads yells every time a poor worker had gone in with papers she had done wrong and rather than confront her, he roared at them.

Throwing her pen down, Aurora let out a small huff of annoyance and stood up from her desk. She needed answers and would wait no longer to get them. Aurora walked to her Dads office slowly making sure to check on the fearful workers on her way just in case any had fainted, it had happened in the past much to her amusement and worry at the time. Reaching her destination, Aurora watched him pour out a stiff drink and look at it tiredly. Taking a deep breath, Aurora gripped the door handle and proceeded to make her way into the main office which now belonged to Tommy as well as her Dad.

"Dad, can I have a word?" Aurora placed a smile on her face, she wanted to show him she meant peace.
"Drink?" William offered taking in his daughters wild hair.
Her hair had always been the first clue that Aurora was under stress as she always ran her hands through it over and over until it formed a nest upon her head. William had also noticed that her work wasn't up to standard today and that was enough to have him concerned.
"Please" Aurora responded sounding like she was begging him despite trying to take control of her voice, she didn't want to give anything away or give him reason to worry.
Coming to sit at her Dads desk, Aurora gratefully accepted the drink from his awaiting hand and leaning back she crossed her legs, losing herself in thought once more.

"What did you want to discuss?" William enquired watching her take a drink, her eyes distant as she stared at the painting to the side of him.
William could see Aurora's thoughts spinning within her head, he himself could already begin to feel the pain from it. He willed his daughter to stop and just let everything spill from her lips.
"Tommy told me you gave him your blessing to take the North" Aurora finally got out bringing her gaze to rest on him, waiting for the answer, unsure on how she would react to it.
"I did" William admitted with a long sigh taking in Aurora's now crestfallen face.
"Did you do it willingly?"
"Aur...."
"Dad, 'fore you continue I want you to put aside me feelings for Tommy and tell me the truth. Did you do it willingly? Does Tommy have your blessing? 'cause if not I will do everything I can to stop him. My family come first, always you know that" Aurora stated, a look of determination on her face.
William had no doubt that his daughter would raise hell for the family despite the love that was growing for Tommy. Reaching across the desk, he took Aurora's hand in his and smiled.

"It wasn't easy chavi but it was necessary. I gave Tommy my blessing, willingly because it is what's best for the business and best for our family. We've been failing ever since the War Aurora, you know that and with Tommy's help we can be great again. He is a good business man Aurora, trust his word" William explained giving his daughter the famous wink that always helped to reassure her.

"Ta Dad, that's all I needed to hear. I love you" Aurora beamed at her Dad, feeling relief wash over her causing every bad thought to vanish.
"And I love you, now back to work and Aurora please don't mess up any more of my papers" William chuckled and while he was playing with her, Aurora knew he was also serious.
He did not need to warn her as Aurora had already made a promise to herself not to make any more mistakes and have the workers suffer because of it. She was also cleared minded now and ready to get on with work.

It had just passed noon when a knock on her office door broke Aurora from her work and looking up she saw Marie the secretary. Placing a welcoming smile on her face, Aurora beckoned her in and placed her pen down, it was important to Aurora that she gave all workers eye contact when engaging. Before joining the family business she had experienced first hand how tiring it could be to have a boss who sat on their horses a far bit higher than they should and who loved to do nothing but make their workers feel worthless.
"Marie, how are you today?" Aurora chirped as the woman walked in and made her way to Aurora's desk.
"Good Miss Hayes, I have a letter for you" Marie replied sweetly handing over the letter and waiting for her next instructions.
"Thank you Marie, I do not require you for anything else so please feel free to go early and pick your children up from school"
Taking a quick glance at the back of the letter, Aurora recognised Masilda's writing. When on the road it was easier for the two friends to write, that way the letters could be received unlike a phone call that could be missed.
"Are you sure Miss Hayes?" Marie asked looking down at Aurora in admiration, she was exactly what the workers needed in the office.
"Of course, now please head off, the children will be excited to see you. Give them me best wishes" Aurora smiled playfully waving the woman away who appeared to be glued on the spot.
"I will Miss Hayes, thank you!" Expressing her gratitude, Marie finally turned around and walked from Aurora's office, leaving her boss to open the letter.