Birthday

"Surely not" Aurora whispered looking down at her diary, drumming her pencil against the date as if she were trying to make it disappear or change if she tapped it long enough.
August 4th
The date read, staring her in the face, mocking her like a sneaky child would do when slipping under their parents nose. It had certainly slipped under Aurora's nose and now here it was, hitting Aurora with the same force of an ice cold bucket of water. Yes, Aurora had been busy over the last few weeks but she had been writing in the diary yesterday, how could she of missed it?

Leaning back in her chair, Aurora let out a sigh and threw the pencil down. The office was silent, too silent for her own liking. Under any normal circumstances, Aurora welcomed it yet today, today was different. Aurora wanted noise, she wanted to see all those smiling faces. If she had remained home, her Mam would of phoned her by now as she did each time this day came causing Aurora to fall into a bad mood at being woke up too early. Sadly, Aurora hadn't heard from anyone which is why the situation, the date held her in such disbelief. Perhaps they were just as busy as her. Tommy had recently put his foot down when it came to business and how it was run meaning there was no time left in the day for them to breathe. He was a strict boss, a lot stricter than her Dad but Aurora admired his dedication, things got done more efficiently and quickly while Tommy was boss. Despite appealing to his softer side, Aurora too had fallen victim to his work ethics, in fact he seemed to take more pleasure and humour in making her work at such times in the morning.

Deciding to investigate the silence, Aurora stood up with her thumb nail now placed gently between her teeth as she slipped her feet back into the heels that had found their way neatly under her desk. Letting out a small begrudged grunt, Aurora closed her diary and began the walk out of her office towards her Dads intent of knowing where he was and if he wasn't there she would then head over to the house.

"Dad!" Aurora called out, her voice echoing off the walls in the hall and into the main reception.
Still, the building remained silent. All that could be heard were the sound of Aurora's footsteps as she hurried her pace towards his office. Pulling the pocket watch from inside her skirt, Aurora checked the time.
9:43
Her Dad should of been here by now, everyone should of been here by now yet the the place had seemed to be abandoned leaving only Aurora.
Was something happening today that she was unaware of?
Her diary remained empty, nothing but the date had any significance and if it had she would of been informed over and over until her ears bled.
"Dad!" Aurora tried again, reaching out for his office door and throwing it open, leaning her body against it as she peeked inside.

It didn't surprise Aurora that it was completely empty, she had expected it nevertheless she was quite disappointed. She wanted him to be there, sat at his desk with a large frown on his face, readying himself to scream at the next person who disturbed him when he was in deep concentration. Sighing in discontent, Aurora threw the door further open, letting it swing off the wall with a thud and marching over to her Dads desk she turned the large black diary that rested within the centre. Aurora was always on top of her Dads schedule but maybe this time she had missed something. Her work filled nights in the past were now long behind her and replaced with nights of passion and peace as she found herself in Tommy's arms, unwilling to let go and work.

Running her finger along the pages, she reviewed every single word that had been noted down over the last month leading up to today's date. To Aurora's annoyance his diary matched hers, the word, the letters, all the same. Nothing was out the ordinary and just as her Diary, August 4th remained empty.
"Fuck sake!" Aurora muttered slamming the diary close and placing both hands on the desk she glared down at it.
She normally hated this day when it came around each year yet this year was different, Aurora was finally happy and in a place of contentment.