Love

The rain was now lightly pattering against the ground, slowing down as the heavens finally cleared revealing a brightly starred sky. Aurora could feel her bones rattling, her soaked clothes seeping into her skin causing a freezing cold chill to run through her. Time had passed very slowly after the bullet rang out through the night sky leaving Aurora's heart shattered yet it still remained in her chest because of him, because of Tommy. As they both sat there in the mud, Tommy's arm wrapped around her tightly bringing her body into his, Aurora couldn't help but feel a sense of comfort. She couldn't of survived more of this night without him or fired the shot that put her beautiful horse out of his pain and torment. Now looking into Bucephalus lifeless eyes, she knew it had been the right decision. He had been too precious for this world and the people within it had destroyed him. Aurora would mourn deeply for him, the horse she had loved like a child but she could also rejoice knowing he was somewhere he could be happy. Still him being gone was torment to Aurora, Bucephalus had helped her through so much and now who would she whisper her worries to in the dark, her fears?

The answer was right beside her.
Tommy would help her through this time of mourning, she would whisper her worries to him and he would accept them as his own. Aurora did not know it yet but she was slowly working her way into Tommy's heart, she was his and he would help his mouse. Feeling her hand softly squeezing his leg, Tommy felt admiration for the mouse. Despite her own grief that was tearing her apart, she was still aware of his own hurt and was doing all she could to comfort him. Truth be told, Aurora was worthy of more than Tommy which is why he could not let her go, she was the light at the end of that dark tunnel which threatened to crush him yet she held it up and guided Tommy into her warmth.

Turning his head Tommy took a moment to inspect Aurora in the light of the moon. A layer of now drying mud cracked along her skin, revealing a pale face, swelled by the constant pour of tears. If Tommy could not feel moving he would think her dead. Her golden eyes appeared as lifeless as Bucephalus and the deep bruising along the side of her face left one eye painfully sealed shut. Blood had dried up alongside the mud and Tommy was pleased to see the small gash in the side of her head had been able to clot. What worried Tommy was the dirt that had penetrated the cut, exposing Aurora to the risk of infection and the longer they stayed out here, the more at risk she would be. Lifting his hand, Tommy gently gripped her chin and turned her head to the side, inspecting her further.

"What happened to your face mouse?" Tommy wondered quietly, intent on getting her to open up without pushing her to break again.
"Bucephalus...he..he kicked before he ran off" Aurora replied hoarsely, her throat strained from the pain she had inflicted on it.
Tommy's eyebrows raised in surprise, she was lucky not to have lost her head and he was lucky not to have lost her. A horses kick was powerful and sometimes ended in death. It seemed to Tommy that Aurora had thankfully only received the ending of a kick before the horse had planted its feet back on the ground and bolted. Aurora needed a few stitches and in the end would be left with nothing but a small faint scar on the side of her head, a smaller scar than what Tommy got when he caught himself during shaving.

"We need to get you cleaned up love"
Taking her hand, Tommy attempted to pull Aurora to her feet only for her to fight back and remain firmly on the ground.
"We can't leave him here" Aurora protested with a whimper looking up at Tommy in anguish. She would not let Bucephalus stay out here in the rain.
"Mouse I know you don't want to leave 'im but we have to get you out of 'ere" Tommy spoke more firmly wrapping his arms underneath Aurora and forcing her to her feet. He understood the hurt she was feeling, nevertheless he would not take chances on her health.
"No Tommy! We need to move him, we need to bury him! What if Foxes come? They'll eat him Tommy" Aurora sobbed trying to push her body down in an attempt to escape his grasp, terrified of leaving Bucephalus out in the cold, defenceless.
"We can't fuckin' move him ourselves Aurora, he's too heavy! Now stop fighting me!" Tommy demanded tightening his hold on Aurora, he wasn't giving her a choice, not now.
"But Tommy...he.."
Taking Aurora by the shoulders, Tommy quickly spun her around and took her face in his hands.
"Listen to me mouse! M'going to make some calls, I'll have men here as soon as possible to begin burying him but right now you're my fuckin' priority and I need to make sure you're ok. Bucephalus will be fine out 'ere, trust me love"
Letting out a pitiful whimper, Aurora gripped Tommy's arms and closed her eyes.
"I trust you Tommy"