Chapter 14

I waited for several minutes before Daniel came down and we all sat down for breakfast. Not long after we said our goodbyes and Alfred lead Daniel and I to his automobile. We returned to our apartment and bid Alfred goodbye.

_______________________

August 20th

I woke up and got changed into my uniform for work and went downstairs and saw there was mail. I saw that one was for me from the university. I placed the mail down and sat down and opened my letter.

It had the book list and my timetable for university, I sighed, I looked at the prices and my mood immediately dampened. I found my pay and counted the money, and I looked at the prices before hand.  I had just enough money to get the books.

Daniel came down and saw me looking over the letter "Did something happen?" he asked.
I shook my head "No, it's just the prices for my books, I've got just enough money. I'll go shopping for them after work" I sighed.

I got a big handbag, and put on a faded purple blouse and skirt in my bag, deciding not to include a belt. I returned to the kitchen and made breakfast and ate I had stood up, about to leave before Daniel stopped me "Do you want me to buy the books?" he asked.
I shook my head "It's alright. I've got money and can go after work, I'll be back, maybe at 4 or 5" I said, kissing his cheek before leaving.

After work I went into a bookstore and found the books I was looking for. I only had 100 or so pounds left, so it cost about £250 (A/N- I'm treating this as AUD in modern day money, since I can't be bothered to go from the Australian dollar to the English pound, and then modern-day money to money in 1933, when there was a tone of change in money value)
I had just been given this month's pay, and thankfully that meant an extra £350.

I manged to get back home by 4:30 and saw Daniel reading the newspaper. Daniel looked up to me from his chair "No belt, haven't seen that in a while" he muttered.
I went over to him and kissed his head "It works fine without it, besides, belts can be uncomfortable" I reasoned before putting my books in the study. I went back downstairs and went to Daniel, reading over his shoulder.

I noticed it was an article about Germany. I placed my arm around his shoulder "Do you read all the articles about Germany you can get your hands on?" I asked, reading about how the National Socialist Party has taking more control over Germany.

There was lot's about how the Jewish are slowly having more rights taken from them "Isn't it enough that they burnt all the books?" I muttered quietly.
Daniel turned to me "What?" Daniel asked.

"I heard that in May they burnt all the books that were written by Jews, or people that oppose the party, or any books that oppose Hitler's beliefs" I explained.
Daniel nodded "I've heard about it too. I just hope my family is ok" Daniel said.

I moved my hands up to his hair and fiddled with it, both to calm myself, and to hope that he calms down a bit "We can only hope and pray. If they choose to leave Germany, which your father seemed adamant they won't leave, they probably won't know where to find us. They would have to go to the Whitestones first if they remember where they live" I explained.

Daniel rested his head on my chest, since it was leveled "Maybe you're right. I do hope they join us soon" he sighed.
I messaged his sculpt lightly "They should be fine. All you can do is send a telegram begging them to come here, and just telling them if they choose to leave, they go to the Whitestones, or the first address you had, and ask to see you" I told him with a deep breath.

Daniel nodded "I guess. Maybe I send them a telegram saying if they wish to visit to go to the Whitestones first" he said. I didn't know what to say, my father died when I was little, my brother is dead, and I was never close with him anyway, my mother never showed me much love, and from when I last saw her, she looked rather ill, I won't be surprised if she got deathly sick in the winter.