Chapter 31

We went up to our bedroom and Daniel got changed into his sleepwear before we laid down. He wrapped his arms around me and we eventually went to sleep.
The next morning I woke up to Daniel kissing me, I looked to him, and sat up before getting ready for the day.

_____________________________________

October 27th, 1934

Mathilde Pov

I woke up to hear my parents in a frenzy, something which I found odd, it's a Saturday, it's a day of rest.
I quickly did my hair and put on a cotton blouse and long skirt and a knitted cardigan before putting boots on. When I stepped in the hall, I saw Edda and Inge, who gave me a confused look, since they share a room.

We went down to see our parents talking in slightly hushed tones, and looking though important papers "Mama, Papa?" I asked, making them jump.
"Mathilde, what are you doing up so early?" Mama asked, clearly startled.

I raised an eyebrow "I woke up because of the sun... and I heard you two rushing about. What on earth is happening?" I asked.
Mama and Papa sighed "We are planning on leaving for England. You know what happened in June, the Nazi Purge. It's getting too dangerous, and Daniel seems to want us to join him. We will have to put some things in order first, maybe sell our house, and get some of our things, and some of Daniels, since he's never had the chance to bring any of his things," Papa explained.

I was shocked "You actually decided to leave? I thought you were so adamant on staying here," I commented.
"Well, it's getting to dangerous, it's about time we leave, for our own safety," Mama reasoned.
I nodded, I felt relieved, I was starting to feel unsafe, and with Hitler as Führer. "Oh, and girls try to learn some English," Papa called to us.

Once we came back down, Mama spoke again, "We talked with both of your grandparents, and we've decided that once we get to England, and find out where Daniel lives, we'll send a telegram to them, with nothing but the address, not the country, unless, he lives somewhere else, then we'll send the country first, then a while later, maybe a month later, we'll send an address," she explained.
I stood confused, "As much as I love my grandparents, and I know Daniel does, but I don't think he would want them over, since our mail gets read, please, for Daniels, and our sakes," I almost begged.
They shook their heads, "No, we want to stay together, but we must be careful, and we will be," Papa tried to explain.

November 25th

I had backed my bags, and Mama and Papa had packed some bags of Daniel, only having a few of his favourite books and other possessions, and had gotten all our money, and sold our house, and had to sell our other things, so we donated it to others and had to sell them, so we have more money for and to buy the things we need.

"Come on girls, we need to go," Papa said, we bid our friends goodbye who housed us for the past week.
We made our way to the train station and left for a train to Brussels in Belgium.

Once we got there we decided to stay there till November 27th. During this time Mama and Papa reread the earlier letters from Daniel, trying to find out an earlier address so we find them once we get in London.

I had mentioned to them how he has had a few addresses in the past. We could check the earlier letters. If I recall, they are his girls, Fräulein Muller's, adoptive parents. They would probably know where Daniel lives these days, or he might live there now until he gets a new place where he won't be recognised," I mentioned. My parents had nodded and started the long search.  

"Mama, Papa, how are we going to do to get to Oxford?" I asked. Once we found the address of these people called 'the Whitestones'.
Mama sighed, "We can go to Dover first, since it's the closest point to Dunkirk, which is where we are going to go, we are going to go on a boat. Once we are in Dover, we'll probably go to London, since there is river, and it's close enough, from there we'll go to Oxford and find the address we had sent the telegrams to," She explained. I nodded in understanding.
Once we left for Dunkirk, we caught a ferry to Dover, and got a train to London.