Chapter 35

A while later, Fräulein Müller told us it was time for dinner as she placed the food down. We all sat down, Fräulein Müller eating in the kitchen again. After dinner, Fräulein Müller and Daniel did the washing as we went to our rooms to sleep.

___________________________________

Gretchen Pov

10th of December

I woke up to Daniels arms, suddenly, I heard the telephone ringing, I quickly grabbed my robe and chucked it on in a rush, but didn't tie it up in my rush to go downstairs to answer the telephone, "Hello, Gretchen Whitestone speaking," I said.
"Ah Gretchen, we apologise to call so early, but we were thinking of going over for Christmas, or you come over to us," I heard Alfred say.
I looked at the time, I had slept in, "It's fine, I slept in, if I'm honest, I was still asleep, but I'm normally awake by now. Anyway, in regard to visiting for Christmas, I'm afraid we are unable to. Something has happened, and it wouldn't be the best, and I still have a week of school," I said.

Alfred hummed, and we bid goodbye, and I went upstairs and got changed into the dress I had made back in February, and put a coat over the top. I returned downstairs and made some potato pancakes.
The Cohens all came down just as I finished, I guess they all wake up with the sun, or shortly after, since they call seem to come down about the same time, even Daniel had always woken up at around this time.

I had put the pancakes on the plates and brought them the table, I put them down. I ate in the kitchen again, Daniel eventually came over to me, still having some food on his plate, "I don't want to leave you alone, I've done that for this whole time, I can't imagine how lonely you've been since I haven't been able to spend time with you," he muttered, I knew Daniels family could hear us.
"No, it's fine, they're your family. Who am I to get in the way of it? They love you, and you love them. You haven't seen them in so long. I'm sure if roles were reversed, you'd let me be with my family, well, unless it was my brother...  you would keep me away from him, which I can't blame you for," I explained.

Daniel nodded, "That is true, I had tried to give you and mother some space, and you'll be family soon enough," Daniel sighed.
Kept my head down, I didn't know how to respond, "I'm thankful for the space, but it was plain awkward, my mother and I weren't ever that close. Reinhard was the clear favourite, and we never talked, not really. I'm sure you noticed it. As for me being family, I don't know, it'd feel better if it were to come from the rest of your family. I know it'd take them quite a while for them to do so, for obvious reasons, I used to be a National Socialist, and your fiancé, it would take them a while regardless..." I muttered quietly, not wanting his family to hear me.

I managed to finish eating and grabbed my plate, and Daniels since he had also finished eating. I washed and dried the dishes. I heated up some of the leftover Bavarian Roast to have for luncheon. I made some for Daniel and turned to the Cohens, "You want me to make you some lunch? Or will you make it yourself?" I asked.
"What would be for lunch?" Inge asked.
I thought for a second, "There is only enough leftovers for one person, so I was planning on making sandwiches," I explained.

Frau Cohen sighed angrily, "I'll make it," she snapped.
Daniel came up behind me and put his hand on my waist, rubbing his thumb lightly in a small circle, trying to calm me down. I doubt it was too obvious, but I still felt slightly embarrassed.
Daniel slowly pulled me closer to me, "Gretchen and I will take our leave now, you should know where things are, if not, just look around the kitchen and you'll find what you need. If you still can't find it, you could all, I guess you could call me at the Times, but I might I not answer, since I have a speech to attend, and need to speak with sources," Daniel said, holding my hand as we left.