Chapter 22

Gretchen Pov

I nodded and continued putting everything away, I went upstairs and got changed before sitting on the bed, Daniel joining me shortly after. Daniel rested his head on my lap, trying to sleep, I gently messaged his sculp, helping his rest. After a short while, I gently held her head, and put his head on the pillow before I laid down and fell asleep.

_____________________________

The next morning Daniel had woken up before me. I got changed and I went downstairs and saw Daniel reading the paper "I would've made breakfast, but I could just hear you saying that I was going to burn it or poison us," Daniel commented.
I nodded "Probably," I agreed. I made breakfast before putting it down.

Timeskip- February 14th

I woke up and saw Daniel was still asleep, I remembered the date, Valentine's Day. I didn't start school until 10, and I finished earlier, at 2, so I had surprisingly short school hours today, I haven't told Daniel since I wanted to surprise him after school with a gift. I started to make breakfast and saw Daniel making his way down the stairs. He came behind me and gently kissed the side of my head, resting his head on my shoulder.

I gave Daniel breakfast and started to make lunch "Aren't you having breakfast?" he asked.
"I start university at 10, so I'll make you some lunch now. Oh, I won't be able to meet up with you for lunch since I've got a class then," I said. I finished making lunch and put it down. I started to eat breakfast. I put Daniels lunch in his bag. Daniel got ready to leave and I quickly kissed him goodbye.

I decided to make some Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte as gift, and for the cream, instead of using normal cream, I decided to make some Bavarian cream instead. Daniel had left at 8, saying that he had a meeting with a source to go to. I put it in a tin so it doesn't get destroyed during the day. I left for school and finished my classes.

After school I made my way to the Times, wanting to surprise Daniel with the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. I walked to the steps when in front of the building I saw a girl having her arms around Daniel, and Daniels hands open, like he had dropped the bouquet of roses that lay on the floor, and they were kissing. I felt myself gasp, and both of them turned to me. I saw shock on Daniels face as he pushed the woman back.
"Gretchen! I-" he said panicked.
"I don't want to hear it, Daniel," I said, feeling tears come up my throat.
I heard the girls high pitched giggle.

Daniel rushed up to me and grabbed my wrist "Let go, Daniel, I don't want to see you," I snapped, I could feel the hot tears go down my cheeks.
"Gretchen- I can explain-" Daniel begged.

I pushed the tin with the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte in it into his chest "Just leave me alone," I said, wanting space. I rushed off, trying to make it look like I was late for an appointment, although the tears going down my cheeks betrayed me.

How could Daniel kiss another woman? If he didn't like me anymore, he should've just told me! Sure, I'd be hurt, but at least I wouldn't feel as betrayed.
I rushed to a telephone booth can called Julia. "Hello, Julia Whitestone speaking." Julia spoke.
"Can I move with you again? Something happened, and want to move back to Oxford, at least temporarily," I asked. It'd take a while to move from London to Oxford, and I'd need some space before getting my things.
"Of course, you can, is Daniel coming too?" she asked.
I felt a cry leave my throat "No, I saw him with another woman, they were kissing," I said crying.

"Gretchen dear, are you sure there wasn't anything-" I cut her off.
"No, it can't be, I saw the whole thing, most of it, please!" I begged.
Julia sighed "I suppose," she said.