Chapter 43

Daniel sighed, and straightened up, keeping a hand on my back. Slowly he led me towards the bed before removing his hand. We quickly got changed before we laid in bed, Daniel wrapping his arms around my waist before falling asleep.

________________________________

June 22nd

I woke up to lots of commotion across the hall. I groaned and rolled over and looked over to Daniel who was slowly waking up. He sat up and looked over at me, confused.

I quickly stood up and put on my robe. I realized how odd I'd look to his family. My nightdress 'neckline' rested on the top of my breasts, and the sleeves hung on my shoulders. There was a ribbon just below my breast. The hem reached my lower shins. The robe was satin with some floral lace as a design.

I quickly looked at my reflection and figured I looked decent enough to leave our room. Although I was shocked when Daniel stood up, having a warm coat over his undershirt/sleepwear.

We quickly put on inside shoes before going into Daniel's parent's room and saw Frau Cohen packing. "Mama, what is happening?" Daniel asked.
Frau Cohen sighed, "We are moving out. Haven't we discussed this? Although, I'm sorry I haven't told you the date. We've just found a small apartment nearby for all of us. Your father and I have jobs and have managed to find a place we can afford. And Fräulein Müller, thank you for giving my girls a job," she said, surprising me.
I got Mathilde a job where I work, I helped Inge get a job at Pophams Bakery, and Edda a job at Co-op Food Prebend Street.

I nodded, "that's a relief to hear. I was worried that we were being robbed or something under those lines," I said, feeling I had to clarify what I meant.
She nodded before Daniel and I left the room.

I returned to my room and quickly got changed before making breakfast. Everyone came downstairs and sat to eat breakfast. Herr Cohen had rented a moving truck and we loaded them up. "Fräulein Müller, Daniel, you two stay here, we'll move the rest ourselves. Evelyn has written our address down and it's in the room we had slept in," he explained, hugging Daniel, and me with a firm handshake.

We watched the truck and taxi cab drive away. Daniel gently wrapped an arm around my waist. After they disappeared Daniel turned to me and slowly led me into our house. "It's nice to have this freedom, I've said it before," Daniel muttered, quickly bringing his lips to mine.

"Daniel, don't you have synagogue, and I have work too," I said.
Daniel sighed for a moment, "I suppose. Shall we go?" he asked.
I nodded and we started to walk to his synagogue. "So what are you doing today?" Daniel asked.
"Nothing much, maybe go shopping before going to work. After work I'll return home and maybe start to make dinner, I don't know," I explained.

Daniel nodded and held my hand as we walked. "I should've figured. Although I'd have to tell people at synagogue that my family probably aren't attending," Daniel said.
I nodded, after 10 or so minutes we got to the side street and I was about to leave, "Gretchen, aren't you going to walk with me to the door?" Daniel asked.
I shook my head, "You are 22 years old, you can do this yourself. And might I add, I feel I shouldn't be here," I said.

Daniel sighed, "You shouldn't think that, but I can't force you to think differently, and a few of my friends here do want to meet you," he said.
I sighed, "Maybe some other time, but I feel, due to my past, I feel I shouldn't be there, or meet someone," I said.
Daniel shook his head, but quickly kissed my head before going down the street.

June 30th

I woke up to cramps that reminded me of the pain I felt when my brother had hit me. I sat up and crossed my arms over my abdomen trying to reduce the pain. I quickly glanced at Daniel and saw he was still asleep, thankfully.