Chapter 65

Daniel sighed, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, "Gretchen..." he mumbled.
"Sleep, I'm making dinner, if you wish to stay up, just stay seated and let me know if you need anything, especially water," I told him, looking to him with his mused hair and dishevelled suit jacket.

________________________________

The next week on Saturday, the 22nd of August I made Daniel breakfast and kissed him goodbye before he left for synagogue. I got a notepad and started to write what I had to do today:

To-Do List:
• Buy a headpiece for the wedding with Frau Cohen
• Grocery shopping
• Organise a time to visit Oxford for Mary's recent birth
• Buy a gift for Mary, Herr Smith and their child

Now all I have to do is make a start. I looked at the time and figured someone should answer the telephone at the Smith household. I got my telephone book with addresses and numbers and dialled Mary's new telephone number

"Hello, Smith residence, Mr John Smith speaking," I heard an unfamiliar voice say.
Wait, it was Mary's husband, although I've never really met him, "Hello Mr Smith, I'm a friend of Mary's, Gretchen Whitestone, I believe you two would've had a child not long ago, some point in this month," I said into the line.

There was silence over the line, "I see, um, is it Miss or Mrs?" he asked.
I chuckled slightly, with my German accent and English surname it could be confusing, "I'm Gretchen Müller-Whitestone, saying Whitestone is just easier for people in England, it's my adoptive father's surname," I explained.

I heard Mr Smith hum, seeming to understand, "Well, Miss Whitestone, your explanation makes sense. Miss Whitestone, Mary had our daughter a week ago, on the 20th, her name is Margaret, I'm assuming that's all you want to know," he said, although not sounding thrilled to have a daughter.

I sighed, "Well, I was wondering if I could visit sometime in the future, maybe in a week or two, I would like to meet with Mary and if you are both comfortable with it, maybe meet your daughter, Margaret," I said into the receiver.

The man let out a harsh sigh, "Mary!" he called, a little too loud for the morning, and certainly for a woman with a three-day-old baby.
After two minutes I heard Mary's tired voice on the line, "Hello?" he yawned.

"Sorry Mary to call so early, but I wanted to have a word with you, I didn't realise you had Margaret a couple of days ago," I apologised.
Mary had a tired laugh, "It's fine, Gretchen. What did you want to talk about?" she asked.
"Right, um, I was wondering if I could visit you in Oxford in a week or two if you think you are in good enough condition, that is," I explained.

Mary hummed wearily, "I see, two weeks, I should be ok by then on the 5th of September," she explained, some pausing, probably to check the dates.
I nodded, "I see, I'll mark the date if you need to change the date, it's fine," I explained.
We bid each other goodbye and marked the calendar before calling the Whitestones, confirming I can stay over that weekend, and possibly have Daniel come with me.

I sat on the couch and looked at the time, Daniel and his family are due to return for another one and a half hours. I'll go shopping afterwards since the headpiece is to stay with the dress.

Maybe I could meet with Daniel and his family outside of the synagogue? No, that isn't right, I'll call Frau Cohen once Daniel gets home since his parents live closer to the synagogue than we do.

I read a book until I heard the door open and Daniel's fast-light footsteps on the wooden floor. I also heard the quick tread of Hunter and his meow once Daniel closed the door.
I looked up and saw Daniel picking Hunter up, although Hunter didn't look happy, although that cat doesn't like getting picked up.
"Do you know if your mother is doing anything?" I asked.
Daniel shook his head, "Not that I know of, I mean, it's a day of rest," he muttered, "Why?" he asked.