Chapter 28

"Oh, it is the Tanakh, you might be more familiar with the term Hebrew Bible, it's more or less the Old Testament, it's not the exact same, but it's close enough that if I can't get my hands on a Tanakh I could make do with it. Thankfully I found one at a store, someone at my synagogue told me where to find it" Daniel explained.

I nodded "That's good news. I guess it was time for you found one, I guess it would've posed a problem" I said moving over to him and kissing his head lightly.

__________________________________

July 29th

Daniel Pov

Gretchen and I got picked up by Alfred and we went to the Whitestones. When we got there, the Whitestone boys rushed out and embraced both Gretchen and I. The real reason we were here was because it was Gretchen's real birthday, but the boys don't know that, aside from Colin, so we've told them it was for my fast-approaching birthday on the second of August.

"I'll help Julia and the cook in the kitchen," Gretchen said before quickly kissing me and going to the kitchen. I took a deep breath, I don't believe what I'm going to do, I'm honestly thankful it's Alfred and not Gretchens biological father.

The Whitestone boys went with their governess, and I was left alone with Alfred. "So Daniel, how have things been?" He asked me as we sat down on a couch in the parlour.
"I just got a promotion at The Times, that includes a pay rise," I said with a smile.
Alfred patted my back "That's brilliant news, your talent is getting recognised. And after only a year, it's a blessing!" Alfred chuckled. I chuckled back, trying to hide the anxiety in my mind. Alfred's smile dropped, I knew what was about to happen, I've seen Gretchen do this, and Alfred a few times "My boy, what are you thinking? It's my job to understand the human mind," Alfred said in a tight tone.

I sighed a laid my head back, taking a deep breath before straightening up, my fingers  making a beat on my thigh, a nervous trait Gretchen had pointed out to me "Alfred, I want to ask for your permission to marry Gretchen. I've been thinking of proposing, but I wanted to ask you first, since you are the closest thing to a father that she has, and in England, you are her adoptive father," I said, hearing the nerves in my voice.

Alfred let out a laugh "Daniel, you needn't ask me. You know my answer, of course you can. Like Julia said, the day you and Gretchen showed up at our house, hungry and tired, you practically demanded that Gretchen gets taken care of before you. You love her, no question, you care for her, you've even put your life on the line, and the misunderstanding you had earlier this year, you got over it quickly," Alfred said in a serious, yet somehow light tone.

I let out a sigh of relief "I figured, but there was still some doubt, like you saying we are too young," I said in an exhausted tone.
Alfred shook his head "You are young, yes, but you and Gretchen are something. Given your lives before you met, and how long you've been in a relationship, and you've already lived together for about a year, you already know what your life has instore. You know your perks, strengths and weaknesses, I see little problems. My main concern is age, yes, you both are so young, but you've been working for a few years, and Gretchen is 20 as of a week ago, but 19 on her papers. Anyone who knows the both of you would agree that you are made for each other" Alfred said with a smile.

"If I'm being honest, I'm glad I had to ask you, and not her biological father, or brother, since if you can't ask parents, you ask siblings, as a rule. I'd be dead. Gretchen doesn't say to much about her father, but she did say that her father didn't like Jews, so that's a no. I don't know if he'd kill me, or threaten to, but he wouldn't give me his blessing. Her brother... we both know he'll shoot me, I'm Jewish, that's the only reason, not because of a brotherly love," I explained.