Chapter 49

December 30th

I woke up and sat up, looking at the man next to me, this afternoon Daniel will leave for Germany for a couple of months and has been growing a moustache out since the end of August, keeping a more German-style as to help Daniel blend in.

I stood up and put a robe on before making a warm breakfast for Daniel, he was leaving for Germany this evening. I was startled by arms wrapping around my waist. "Daniel?" I asked.
Daniel hummed, "Sorry to scare you," he muttered.

I turned the stove off and turned to my fiancé, wrapping my arms around his neck, "Daniel, it's fine, you are leaving today," I said, my voice creaking.
Daniel sighed, bringing his lips to mine, biting on my lip slightly, putting his hands to my hair, pulling my head closer, "I want to spend quality with you, I don't know the next time I'll see you since we don't have a set date for our return, only that we should return early March," Daniel muttered.

I nodded, "Just promise me you'll be careful, don't say anything to give you away, I don't know what I'd do if you were to get hurt or worse," I muttered, hugging him, resting my head on his chest.
Daniel moved his hand to my chin, tilting it up to his face, "I promise, Gretchen, I promise you that," he muttered, kissing my forehead.

We spent all day together before I got changed into a white blouse with a blue pleated skirt that reached my shins. I had a belt and woollen jacket and a scarf to keep myself warm. Daniel had also dressed warmly. I stood on the platform with Daniel's family, who hugged him in farewell, and Frau Pearlman was able to attend. When Daniel got to me, he pulled me into a hug, smashing our lips together, I felt tears choke me, "Please, Daniel, stay safe, please," I begged, tears spilling from my eyes.

Daniel quickly whipped them away, "I promise, I'll make a call in France once I land and once I return, you can tell my family," he whispered before grabbing his suitcase, he quickly kissed me again, "Do you have your money?" I asked, Daniel nodded, "Enough clothes, notebooks, pens," I felt myself start to ramble on.
Daniel placed his hands on my shoulders, "Gretchen, you helped me back my bags, you've looked through my bags, and have asked me a thousand times by now," he muttered.
I nodded, "Do you have painkillers? Lord knows when those would be useful, the last thing we want is for you to have a pain attack," I muttered.

Daniel's eyes widened and he cursed under his breath, "I forgot," he muttered.
I opened my purse and grabbed some painkillers, "Here, now, you should get on your way, the train is about to leave," I said, trying to stop myself from crying.

Daniel quickly kissed my lips again before rushing into the train. I felt myself tear up again, Frau Eveyln Cohen stood next to me, placing a hand on my shoulder, startling me, "I see you care for my son. Although I still don't condone your relationship with my son, nor do I condone what I just saw between the two of you, but I suppose I can understand it," she said.

I looked at her, "Mrs Schröder... I normally don't do things like that," I muttered, looking up to the train that was starting to pull away, carrying Daniel and the other reporters to Germany, "But I don't know when I'll see Daniel again. I don't know if he'll get hurt, killed, or turn out just fine. I don't know what's happening in Germany, I wish I knew, it might give me the peace of mind I crave, but I know it won't be good, that was obvious to me, even in 1931," I said, my voice creaking, "I'm scared for whatever lays ahead," I said, looking to my future mother in law.

Daniel Pov
December 30th

I woke up and looked next to me, seeing Gretchen was already downstairs.
I stood up and got changed quickly before going downstairs, seeing Gretchen making breakfast, I wrapped my arms around her waist. "Daniel?" She asked, sounding startled.
I hummed, "Sorry to scare you," I muttered.