Chapter 51

Please note that any antisemitic terms used are used because it is what the character would say. This is also a disclaimer of mention of the holocaust and a (Mild-ish) description of Dachau Concentration Camp and my own vision of a ghetto that did exist. I understand that to some readers that this could be personal or emotional, or something you wish not to read, which I completely understand, and went into writing this, fully aware of. I try to avoid anything horribly gruesome or mention much of it, which is hard for bits since this, and the next couple chapters are to bring to light what is happening in Germany in the 1930s and to hopefully paint a semi-realistic picture of what some people went through. If this is something you wish not to read, stay limited to Gretchen's POV to avoid mention of it.

The next day we quickly got ready for the day and went towards the Ghetto. We started by walking around the sides, staying in the shadows the best I could. "Daniel, why don't we ask the men guarding for information?" John asked.

I thought about it for a moment, "Maybe, give me a moment," I said, trying to find a newspaper. I looked through the different companies that publish stories and came across the Völkischer Beobachter (Eng: People's Observer) which was a company that is solely for National Socialists.

"Ok, I can make up a lie, but what questions? I can't have you two speak, at all, you can't speak German, and even if you tried, you'll fail to sound like you are from Germany, so only I can get away with speaking," I explained. "So you have to tell me the questions now, and I'll say I work for Völkischer Beobachter, a paper that supports the party, and you guys are just interns, and it's your first report, so that's why you are so quiet," I explained.

Thankfully they seemed to understand and told me some questions to ask the SA and SS men. I went to one who looked like he was slacking off, so wasn't likely to do anything. "Excuse me, Herr, I'm a reporter for Völkischer Beobachter, and it seems that people are starting to talk about this Ghetto structure, anything to say, a scoop? Something that reveals it to be a lie?" I asked the man who looked younger than me.

The fellow scoffed, "Why should I tell you anything? And why aren't they speaking?" he asked, nodding towards my co-workers.
I chuckled, "They are interns, their first report, you see? They just observing, I'm sure you know how annoying it is. Always asking questions, getting in the way?" I lied.

The fellow chuckled slightly, "I see. We are just treating the Yids how they should be treated. They are the reason for our debt, now they are under control, it is nice that there is a Ghetto already here," the guy scoffed.

I nodded and wrote it down, "Herr, if I may ask, what's with the train track?" I asked, pointing at one a block away.
The man laughed, "That is secret business! But I will say they deserve what they'll get," he scoffed.

I nodded, "Anyway in or out?" I asked, "It seems secure, you don't need to tell me the way, that is problematic," I said, hoping to get the guy off my back.
He shook his head, "You need permission for that, other than that, it's pointless," he explained.
I nodded, "Thank you, Herr, that is all I need," I said with a bow of my head.

I turned to my co-workers, "Komm schon," (Come on) I said, gesturing them to follow me, praying they got to message, which they did.
I walked maybe a block, and the SA man seemed to have gone elsewhere when a piece of stale bread went flying past my face, making me stand still.

I looked around and saw another piece being thrown from the direction of the Ghetto. I turned towards it and looked up. I felt my blood turn cold, in the window was my cousin, Ruth, her little brother, and my aunt and uncle.

I brought my hand to my mouth, it had been so long since I'd seen them last. I took a deep breath and brought my hand down. I nodded, hoping they might know I know who they are, I removed my hat, trying to think of ways for them to know I recognised them. I couldn't say anything since I can't get anyone else attention.