Chapter 54

Daniel seemed to understand, "I see, but you still look worn out, and I doubt you slept well," he said, lying down.
I laid down beside him and wrapped my arms around him and rested my head on his chest, loving his scent of soap and orange

_____________________________

I woke up to see Daniel still fast asleep. I gently touched his face, brushing his hair away from his face. He looked so at peace, like everything that happened recently was all forgotten. I gently kissed his forehead before getting dressed warmly.

I quickly made breakfast, making toast and coffee for Daniel. I looked at the time and saw that it was time for Daniel to wake up. I went up the stairs and saw Daniel still fast asleep. I gently shook him, "Daniel?" I asked.
He groaned slightly, "I want to sleep," Daniel muttered.
"I have made breakfast, and you haven't called the Times yet," I reasoned.

Daniel sat up slightly, "Can you call work for me? As for breakfast, I can heat it up," Daniel mumbled.
"If you say so, but toast is hard to reheat," I sighed.
Daniel looked shocked, "I'm sorry, but I'm too tired," he sighed.
I chuckled slightly and kissed his head softly, "It's fine, rest, you need it, I can make you something else," I offered.
Daniel shook his head, "I'll make it, you've done so much," He groaned, laying down again.

I laughed to myself before walking downstairs. I dialled the Times, "Hello, you have reached the London Times, Elizabeth Johnstone speaking," the receptionist said.
"Hello, I'm Miss Whitestone, I'm Mr Daniel Schröder's fiancé, I came to check in on him this morning. He was informed that his grandmother passed away, and he is in a state of mourning, and I'm calling on his behalf to request if he can have a week off? I'm sure he can give his notes on the report in Germany to his co-workers or drop it off to work," I said into the receiver.
"I see, I'll ask the editor," she said, putting the call on hold, "Miss Whitestone, I've gotten a reply, and yes, Mr Schröder can have a week off,"
I nodded, "Thank you, Ms Johnstone," I said before putting the telephone down.

I went to Daniel, "You have the week off from work, you might just have to give your notes to your co-worker," I explained.
Daniel nodded slightly, "When are you leaving?" he asked.
"In two hours, why?"

"Just wondering, my Gretchen," he grumbled.
I stood there still, it is odd to hear Daniel say things like that. "Right, is there anything you want for lunch? I can make it for you," I offered.

"I'm fine, I'll make it myself," Daniel muttered, pulling the sheets over his head.
I chuckled slightly and sat next to him, Daniel looked to me, "What are you doing?" he asked.
I sighed, "You can sleep," I muttered and played with his hair softly.

Daniel moved his head to my lap. I gently played with his hair and traced his jawline. I let Daniel slowly fall back asleep, messaging his scalp lightly, watching how calm he seems.

After an hour I stood up and placed a pillow under his head, gently kissing him before going downstairs. I wrote a quick note saying I'm going to school. I quickly left for university and got to university shortly before the bell rang. I met with Isabelle, "Gretchen? It's been so long, where have you been?" she asked.

"I've been out of school because my faincé's grandmother died, and my faincé had to go to Germany for a report, and he returned last night, so I've been under stress and fear," I explained.

Isabelle nodded, "I see, things are dangerous in Germany with Nazis and all,"
I nodded, "Yeah, but he's in perfect health, or I believe so," I explained.
Isabelle nodded and we sat somewhere, while waiting for the bell to go we worked on some schoolwork.

After school, I went shopping for food before returning home. I saw Daniel asleep on the couch, I slowly walked towards him and kissed his forehead. Daniel sturred slightly, "Gretchen?" he grumbled.
I chuckled, "Yes?" I asked kneeling down so I was at eye level with him.
Daniel reached out to me, cupping the back of my head, "You're home?"
I nodded, "Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" I question, running my hand through his hair.