Chapter 34

I returned to our room, I saw that Gretchen had a smile on her face, like she was trying not to laugh. I sat next to her, we laid down, I wrapped my arms around Gretchen, kissing her neck before we fell asleep. I wonder what I've done to have this beautiful, caring woman beside me.

________________________________

Mathilde Pov

The next day my family and I got ready to leave back to London, and Herr Whitestone said he'll take us to Daniel's "We'll take a taxi, can you write the address?" Mama requested.
Herr Whitestone nodded and wrote the address 47 Shepherdess Walk. Herr Whitestone talked to the taxi driver and told him where to go.

After a two hours we got to Daniels house. Mama knocked on the door, and a saw a girl about my age open the door, she wore a slightly wrinkled white blouse and black shirt, and short wavey blonde hair that barely brushing her shoulders.
Her eyes widened when she us, but spoke after a short moment.
"Frau, Herr Cohen, come in, you girls can come in too," She stampeded in shock and in German, letting us in.

"I'll tell Daniel that you are here, please make yourselves comfortable in the parlour," She added in German before going into the kitchen, and up the stairs. We sat down on couches, I looked to the bookcase next to the couch, there were all sorts of books, a Torah, Bible, books about medicine, psychology, physics, politics, an English dictionary, a Germany to English dictionary, local address and telephone books, and a few other books. They both must love reading, I knew Daniel did, but the other books are probably not within Daniels interests, so have to belong to Fräulein Müller. AT least there was a range of books.
Suddenly, who I assumed was Fräulein Müller spoke again "Daniel said he'll be down shortly," she muttered quietly.
"Do you want or need anything, food or a drink?" She asked.

"Some food would be nice," Mama said in a bland tone, clearly Mama doesn't like her, so this girl must be Fräulein Müller, since Mama is so cold to the girl, who seemed to be my age.
"Would a dairy or meat plate work?" she suggested.
My sisters and I nodded slightly, and she went to the kitchen and I saw Daniel walking down the stairs. His arms appearance startled me, Mama said that his arms was rather skinny, and bony, it looked better than that, maybe since he's been eating more?  but it was still shocking see. He looks rather different now, more grown up, which makes sense, since he is 21, and I haven't seen him since he was 18. I heard them talk for a few seconds, due to how far they were, I couldn't hear what was getting said.

Daniel rushed into the parlour several moments later, hugging Mama and Papa before hugging Inge, Edda and myself before Fräulein Müller brought the plates in and placed them down "Do you want me here? It's a family gathering? I'm fine to leave," she asked quietly.

"I'll introduce you all first," Daniel said. I noticed Mama and Papas faces darkened slightly.
"Well, Mama, Papa, you've... interacted with Gretchen once," Daniel said, not knowing what to call the meeting they had. Fräulein Müller looked down, seeming upset.
"Well Gretchen, these are my sisters, oldest to youngest, and could you, referring to you girls," Daniel said, looking at us, having a smile on his face "Raise your hand so she knows who you are," he said sternly, we nodded, it was just nice to see our big brother after all this time.

"Mathilde," he said "As I've said, she's the same age as you, 20," he explained.
Fräulein Müller looked at me, look she was trying to memorise our faces.
"Edda, she's 18," Daniel went on.
"And this is little Inge," Daniel said with a small laugh "She's 16," Daniel said. Inge had frowned, not like getting called little, although in his eyes, Inge will always be a baby in his eyes.

"Daniel, why is she here? Shouldn't she be home?" Mama asked, some venom in her voice, shocking me at the coldness. Although she has a point, what was she doing here? She should be home, it's getting dark.
"Gretchen lives here, so she is home," Daniel said sternly. Mama and Papa had a disapproving look, I was almost horrified, this isn't right, she shouldn't be here, they shouldn't be living together.