Chapter 69

Julia came in with two breakfast trays and glasses of water. After a few hours, it was time for us to return home. We walked to our room and put our things away.

__________________________________

September 4th

Daniel had just returned from synagogue, I looked to him, "Any news about the report?" I asked.
Daniel had a small grin, "We can both write what is being said at the 8th National Socialist Party Congress, however that's all the involvement you'll really have, but you might be referred to about how the Party is run," Daniel grinned.  

I nodded, "I see, so from Tuesday till Thursday you'll be at the Times, we can go into work tomorrow to talk about how it'll work, and we can tell my parents that I won't be at synagogue tomorrow," Daniel said.

I nodded before I looked at him, "Did they not come home with you?" I asked.
Daniel sighed, "They are talking with Herr Howard, Mathilde's beau, I believe he is also joining us tonight," Daniel said.

I shot him an angry look, "Excuse me! Why wasn't I told?" I tried not to yell.
Daniel sighed, "It was talked about before we went in, sorry I couldn't tell you," he apologised.
I shook my head, "It's fine, I just wasn't expecting it. I guess it's a good thing I make extra for seconds, how long till they get here?" I asked.

Daniel shrugged, " I don't know, they wanted me to stay back, but I explained that I had to tell you some things," he explained.
I sighed before glancing at the table, "Can you set another placement at the kitchen counter? I'll get a chair, and maybe invest in some bar stools," I said, starting to go up the stairs.

I got a chair and placed it down before I heard a knock at the door. I opened it up, I saw the Cohens and Mathilde's arm linked with Mr Howards "Gretchen, how have you been?" Mathilde asked.

I nodded, "I've been well," I replied.
Mathilde smiled as I heard Daniel stand behind me, his hand softly on the small of my back.
I quickly greeted the Cohens before we let everyone in. We had the girls, Herr Howard and the Cohen grandparents sit at the table since we moved the table out to fit everyone. We had myself, Daniel, his parents and Herr Pearlman.

I served dinner before we started to eat. It was fairly quiet before I nudged Daniel softly, "What?" he whispered.
"What did you need to tell your family?" I muttered.
I noticed the looks from the Cohens, "I won't be able to go to synagogue. I have to go to work tomorrow, not to work, just to talk about something that's happening during the week," Daniel announced.

Herr Howard seemed confused, "What's the report about?" Frau Cohen asked.
Daniel sighed, "They need me to translate the 8th Nazi Party Congress, I've had Gretchen help translate since I could miss something," Daniel explained.

Frau Cohen looked unimpressed, "Daniel, it'll be a Saturday, you know the rules of Shabbat," she scolded.
Daniel sighed, "We aren't working, we are just organising what's going to happen," Daniel argued.

I gently tugged at Daniel's suit, "Daniel, sit down, please," I mumbled.
He looked at me before sitting down. We finished eating before whoever wanted seconds had seconds while I washed up the plates, Daniel ended up putting things away.

We sat down, "So, Mr. Schröder, why haven't I seen Miss Whitestone at events thrown by the synagogue before," he asked.
I sighed, "I'm not Jewish, so I don't think I should be there," I said.
He looked at me weirdly, "You do know your child can't be Jewish, right?" he asked.